• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Question about pre-outs......

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Ok, I'm thinking about moving two of my Mackies upstairs to have a 2 channel setup in the back room. Problem is the spare Denon receiver I have does not have any pre-outs for powered speakers or an outboard amp.

It does however have a Zone 2 pre-out and tape 1 ins/outs. I don't know about the tape loop (gotta feeling that won't work), but could I use the Zone 2 preouts for the Mackies?

Should work. Turn everything down all the way first, just in case.

The thing about using zone two is that you probably will be limited to analog sources only. In most receivers the DACs are only available to the main zone. Just connect your CD player using analog outs and you should be fine.

All you need is volume control. Why not look into buying a cheepie (or even better a DIY) volume control/preamp?

Towen7 said:
The thing about using zone two is that you probably will be limited to analog sources only. In most receivers the DACs are only available to the main zone.
I did not know that... :shhh:

Towen7 said:
The thing about using zone two is that you probably will be limited to analog sources only. In most receivers the DACs are only available to the main zone. Just connect your CD player using analog outs and you should be fine.

All you need is volume control. Why not look into buying a cheepie (or even better a DIY) volume control/preamp?

If I needed a receiver, that's probably what I would do. This isn't (as much) a critical listening area as my HT room, so if I have to use the analog outs, I'm cool with that. Thanks for the tidbit about the digital out and zone 2. I haven't hooked anything up yet, but I would've freaked out if that happens and I didn't know.

I am using a Squeezebox in this room. I know the SBs have volume control. Could I just use that and ditch the receiver all together?

Yesfan70 said:
I am using a Squeezebox in this room. I know the SBs have volume control. Could I just use that and ditch the receiver all together?

Yup. Just crank up the volume on the SB and set the gain on the Mackies to as loud as you want them to ever get. Then control the volume from the SB.

Done.

Well, tried the Zone 2 and it was a bust. The receiver I have is a "freebie" and only the front channels work and none of the surrounds. The more I think about it, I think Zone 2 runs off the surround back amps and if so, then maybe that's why I wasn't getting anything.

I did remember to turn the volume down, but unfortunately I only turned down the receiver's volume and totally forgot about the Mackies' volume. Needless to say, I shit my pants when music started playing at full volume.

For now, I'm using the headphone out on my receiver. I may just straight feed the Squeezebox later, but I do like being able to use the delayed on outlets in my surge protector for the Mackies when I fire up the system.

It's a crude setup, but it sounds soooo much better than those piece of shit JBL sub/sat speakers I was using. The sub has an awful hum to it.

Back