• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Questions about the music you listen to..

TKoP

One those things that popped in my brain, so it finds its way here.

Question 1 -- What percentage of music do you listen to that was released:
a) in the last 5 years
b) in the last 10 years
c) in the last 20 years
d) in the last 30 years
e) in the last 1,000,000 years

Question 2 -- When listening to music, what's your "motivation"?
I started trying to define what I meant here, but actually thought I'd be more of an "artist" and let the reader define/interpret the question

For me, the answers to question 1 is
a: ~20%
b: ~20%
c: ~25%
d: ~30%
e: ~5%

I'm always on the look out for something new and am kind of over most of the classic rock from the 60's and 70's, but will find myself putting in an old Rolling Stones or Simon and Garfunkel along with the random Jazz CD from the <1965 era.

Question 2 -- most of the time, I'm looking for a song that I can sing along to, or get carried away with, so I find myself a suck for most of the song anthems or songs with catchy lyrics more than the musicianship usually. Usually.

Classic rock is my favorite, so probably music in the 70s get the nod. However, I've been listening to more music in the 2000s and from the *0s than anything.

As for motivation, it's really more of a mood. Sometimes when I'm just wanting to chill out, I'll put on some of the more laid back songs from Radiohead. A lot of times if it's a specific band that's being discussed, I'll find myself listening to that. This is especially true if it's something I have not heard in awhile. For example, a couple of co-workers and me were talking about Styx last week and since then, that's about all I have listened to.

QUESTION 1 -
A: 34%
B: 20%
C: 35%
D: 10%
E: 1%

QUESTION 2 -
More often than not, I hope to be impressed by the vocal performance and/or the recorded sound quality.

#1: I can't really do it by "era" very well; by genre would be much more apropo...

#2: Many reasons: Artistic (mostly musical but sometimes lyrical, and occasionally humorous), Rhythmic (shake me rump!), Audio/Ear Candy (I love good recordings, SACD, and 5.1!), and occasionally to increase the likelihood of mating. :shifty: One thing I can't do is put on music as "background"; I'm always listening to it and if I'm reading there's no way I can have music on (college in the dorms was a bitch for me).

Can't be as specific as Zing, nor am I goin' to try; but off the top, probably 30% music from the 80s and 25% music recorded in the last 10 yrs. The remaining 45% - a mix of everytihng. (I have blues music recorded in the late 1930s)

Why?
1) the answer is in the 1st line of my forum signature
2) (words from an old song) . . . how old I don't know)
"Give me a beat, boys, that soothes my soul , , , I want to get lost your rock 'n roll"

Edit: The above is a very rough estimate. I really don't associate music by calender years. My 'music from the 80s' includes probably a lot from the 90s too. I buy music I like, and couldn't tell you what year it was made without going to its cover.

I won't guess at specific percentages, but I will say this:

1. Most of my music comes from the 90s and the 60s.
2. A somewhat smaller percentage comes from the 70s.
3. And an even slightly smaller percentage comes from the 80s.

4. Generally speaking I still listen to plenty of music that's been released within the last 10 years. (Probably a larger percentage than compared with 1980s music, but smaller than 70s music.) However, the stuff from the 2000s that I listen to typically comes from bands that originally started in the 90s; that is, unless it's a non-pop/rock genre like Jazz or Newgrass. Though, there are exceptions every now and then. I don't mind Death Cab For Cutie. And the Killers are an OK band. And I simultaneously like and dislike Taylor Swift's music for some reason. It's sometimes decent but maybe it's too much hype? (And is it just me, or does she look kind of like a really hot grandma even though she's only like twenty years old?)

a) 65%
b) 15%
c) 15%
d) 5%
e) <1%

Keep in mind, I'll be 35 next month and I'm a Heavy Metal fan, the breakthrough in HM came 40 yrs ago, so not much for me past 30 yrs. That and I don't like the record quality of the older stuff, no bass.

Question 2. My current mood usually. A new album, like IN FLAMES newest one is getting a lot of play right now. It's mostly the mood at the time.
If I'm p!ssed, PANTERA's "War Nerve" seems to be my favorite go to aggression song. If I'm happy, Killswitch Engage, Metallica.....

TKoP said:
One those things that popped in my brain, so it finds its way here.

Question 1 -- What percentage of music do you listen to that was released:
a) in the last 5 years
b) in the last 10 years
c) in the last 20 years
d) in the last 30 years
e) in the last 1,000,000 years

I started trying to define what I meant here, but actually thought I'd be more of an "artist" and let the reader define/interpret the question

#1 - This is difficult to answer due to the "released" part. A fair portion of what I listen to was released in the last 5-10 years but the genres make it almost unrecognizable as to when it was released. Jazz, blues, bluegrass, artists like John Prine, John Hiatt, Mark Knopfler, Emmy Lou Harris and many more are "timeless". Many "recent releases" but not necessarily discernible form stuff they may have put out 20 years ago.

#2 - Atmosphere and pure enjoyment of music - all types as Duke Ellington so aptly said "There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

Well seeing as how I listen to a lot of classical and earlier jazz:

a: ~20%
b: ~10%
c: ~10%
d: ~10%
e: ~50%

... the 20% of most recent stuff is largely from recommendations on this forum.

topper said:
2) (words from an old song) . . . how old I don't know)
"Give me a beat, boys, that soothes my soul , , , I want to get lost your rock 'n roll"

Edit: The above is a very rough estimate.

The Answer

And I'm a little surprised by the answers -- I kind of expected most people here are into the older stuff. Especially if you look at the "What Are You Listening To Now" thread.

TKoP said:

Oops I missed this second question. Hmmm.... I guess it would generally be a fairly instinctive/intuitive desire to listen to some particular type of music - e.g. "I feel like some Miles Davis today." Unless I happen to have some song(s) stuck in my head, which happens sometimes especially with new albums I'm particularly excited about. There are also times when I don't feel like listening to music at all, but those are relatively rare.

Zing said:
Topper - FYI that link is incorrect in terms of the artist. It's not Bob Seger, it's Dobie Gray.
--
Thanks, Zing.
I've always remembered those lyrics, and as soon as I read Dobie Gray's name that hit home too.

Like others have said, good music is truely timeless

Back