• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Radio

Snake Doctor

Sometimes what seems to be the simplest things can be a little on the more difficult side and for me that is getting a clear radio signal. Yeah I know I can do XM but I like free radio - I think you call that tight ass. :text-lol:

Anyway I have the Integra DHC-9.9 prepro - I have the AM & FM antennas attached but since I am in the basement I can only one or two radio stations. How do I improve the reception especially on the FM side?

Snake Doctor said:
Anyway I have the Integra DHC-9.9 prepro - I have the AM & FM antennas attached but since I am in the basement I can only one or two radio stations. How do I improve the reception especially on the FM side?
Can you move the antenna upstairs or perhaps through a basement window and get it outside?

Zing said:
Snake Doctor said:
Can you move the antenna upstairs or perhaps through a basement window and get it outside?

The antennas are short lengths of wire approximately 3 feet long. I have tried wrapping them around power and ethernet wires thinking that may give it a boost but zilch. Moving upstairs isn't an option I don't know about out of a window if I get more wire it may work.

Snake Doctor said:
...if I get more wire it may work.
That's really the basis of my suggestion. Wire is cheap. Make an "extension" long enough to move the antenna wherever it needs to go for the strongest signal reception.

Another possibility - if it's an option for you - is to split your cable TV and run a cable to your processor.

Yet another possibility - buy a booster.

Get more wire!
yes.gif

Do you happen to have an "old school" antenna on the roof, that you can splice into?

Dennie

I have an antenna in the attic that I use for local television and FM radio. Could you do something like that? Depending on your cable/satellite situation you may be able to use diplexers to run the antenna signal over the same coax (I actually have several diplexers that I can no longer use and would be willing to sell if interested). Other than that, get a Bose wave radio -the FM tuner in that thing blows away everything else in my house (Marantz A/V receiver, Marantz pre-pro, Anthem pre-pro, Integra A/V receiver). Hell, I think it does better sans antenna than any of the others with antenna connected...

CMonster said:
I have an antenna in the attic that I use for local television and FM radio............................ Other than that, get a Bose wave radio -the FM tuner in that thing blows away everything else.........

Putting an antenna in an attic may have varying results. It works very well in some houses. In my house I get a better signal with the antenna in rooms on my second floor than I do with the antenna in the attic.

I am willing to bet my Boston Receptor table radio pulls in a signal better than the Bose. I live in a valley where the signals are very weak and my Boston radio pulls in more FM signals than my Yamaha stereo receiver does and that receiver has a very decent FM tuner.

Snake Doctor said:
The antennas are short lengths of wire approximately 3 feet long.

If you have a Menards near you, then they have a really cheap dipole FM antenna. I've seen this in-store and it sells for about $2.00. Not sure how long it is, but I suspect it might be slightly longer than the 3-footer you're currently using. I'd be somewhat surprised if it helped a ton, but you never know, I suppose. Might be worth a try. And at least it's cheaper than the similar antenna from Radioshack, which is I think maybe 7 or 8 bucks.

Anyway... If you don't have a Menards near you, then maybe check Lowes and Home Depot? Not sure if they carry these type of antennas, too, but maybe?

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...sories/dipole-fm-antenna/p-1865150-c-6295.htm

AH7R_PKG_HO.jpg

To improve reception an antenna needs to be higher and/or larger and/or away from reflective obstructions. Antennas, mounts, and wiring are pretty inexpensive and very easy to install.

Does the 9.9 have any streaming capabilities? I finally gave up on an antenna and just started streaming my local radio stations using Internet Radio on my Yamaha. This and Sirius are the two reasons I wish my 9.8 had streaming.

Just a thought,

John

Dennie said:
Get more wire!
yes.gif

Do you happen to have an "old school" antenna on the roof, that you can splice into?

Dennie

That is a great idea and the first one that I thought of - but I don't have an "old school" antenna plus the feed would be much too long for it to work. But good idea.

CMonster said:
I have an antenna in the attic that I use for local television and FM radio. Could you do something like that? Depending on your cable/satellite situation you may be able to use diplexers to run the antenna signal over the same coax (I actually have several diplexers that I can no longer use and would be willing to sell if interested). Other than that, get a Bose wave radio -the FM tuner in that thing blows away everything else in my house (Marantz A/V receiver, Marantz pre-pro, Anthem pre-pro, Integra A/V receiver). Hell, I think it does better sans antenna than any of the others with antenna connected...

Okay now I get to show my ignorance (once again). How would a diplexer work? I have AT&T cable and I have a splitter one lead runs to the DVD and the other lead to the ATT box, from the box out to the prepro from there to the TV. (If memory servers me right) So where would the "diplexer" fit in and exactly what is a diplexer?

Kazaam said:
Snake Doctor said:
The antennas are short lengths of wire approximately 3 feet long.

If you have a Menards near you, then they have a really cheap dipole FM antenna. I've seen this in-store and it sells for about $2.00. Not sure how long it is, but I suspect it might be slightly longer than the 3-footer you're currently using. I'd be somewhat surprised if it helped a ton, but you never know, I suppose. Might be worth a try. And at least it's cheaper than the similar antenna from Radioshack, which is I think maybe 7 or 8 bucks.

Anyway... If you don't have a Menards near you, then maybe check Lowes and Home Depot? Not sure if they carry these type of antennas, too, but maybe?

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...sories/dipole-fm-antenna/p-1865150-c-6295.htm

AH7R_PKG_HO.jpg

Thanks I will check and see if Lowes has one and if it will work.

yromj said:
Does the 9.9 have any streaming capabilities? I finally gave up on an antenna and just started streaming my local radio stations using Internet Radio on my Yamaha. This and Sirius are the two reasons I wish my 9.8 had streaming.

Just a thought,

John

Good thought. I have tore the manual apart and I can't see where the 9.9 will do streaming. I could do XM but I am too cheap and there has to be a better option for cheap guys. :angry-tappingfoot:

I could run pandora via my DVD player but the TV comes on and I hate to have a 58" tv going just so I can hear music. I have tried to figure out how to do streaming without the tv coming on, I can play CD's without it.

I think the dumb ass bug has bitten me. :scared-eek:

Snake Doctor said:
yromj said:

Just a thought,

John

Good thought. I have tore the manual apart and I can't see where the 9.9 will do streaming. I could do XM but I am too cheap and there has to be a better option for cheap guys. :angry-tappingfoot:

I could run pandora via my DVD player but the TV comes on and I hate to have a 58" tv going just so I can hear music. I have tried to figure out how to do streaming without the tv coming on, I can play CD's without it.

Do you have an Ipad? the oremote app which controls Onkyo/Integra networked receivers, it shows two-way data, so if you are running Pandora, that would take the TV out of the equation...Just another vote for streaming if you can swing it.

Batman said:
Snake Doctor said:
yromj said:

Just a thought,

John

Do you have an Ipad? the oremote app which controls Onkyo/Integra networked receivers, it shows two-way data, so if you are running Pandora, that would take the TV out of the equation...Just another vote for streaming if you can swing it.

No IPad - Remember Cheap -

But more and more it is looking like I need an IPad.

Using some RG 6 coax you can use a TV signal amplifier if you have one.

88-108 is in the middle of the old TV bands and should be amplified easily.
This should allow you to get a longer run on the wire. best if amplified closer to
the antenna or source.

then you can use the 75 to 300 converter for the back of the radio if your
receiver only accepts the connections for the old 300 style.

You can use a standard TV antenna for VHF. TV channel 2 to 18.
about 54 inches wide. Better signal if outside a building. When in building you can loose 3 to 6 db of signal. Look at Antennaweb.org for some good info.

I found this information if it helps any.

Build an FM Antenna
A do-it-yourself project
The single most important thing that you can do to improve your reception of WRYR-LP
is to use a good antenna.

It's easy to build a good antenna for listening to FM radio. The design given here can be
built in under half an hour if you have the parts and it works better than products from
Radio Shack and elsewhere that cost over $100. This antenna works much better than
most commercial powered or amplified units.

You need two rods made of wood or plastic or anything that isn't a conductor (so don't
use wire from a coat hanger, for example), a length of insulated wire, some sticky-tape or thumbtacks or some substitute, and a length of 300 Ohm ribbon feeder cable to connect the antenna to the radio. It will help if you can solder the wire connections together but it isn't essential.

The antenna, as shown in the diagram below, is square and is made by wrapping wire
around a frame of crossing rods. The size of the square is important and is shown in the
table. If you listen to stations all over the FM dial then use the smaller measurements for
the "full band", and this would include WRYR-LP. [If you wish to build an antenna for
listening to college radio in the 88 to 92 MHz range, then choose the larger size antenna
for "non-commercial".]

The length of the side of the antenna is x and y is the length of the rod you need to make the correct size of square.

Frequency Band x 1/2 x y
88 - 92 MHz

Non-commercial band
832 mm
32.8 inch
416 mm
16.4 inch
1178 mm
46.4 inch
88 - 108 MHz

Full FM band
760 mm
30.0 inch
380 mm
15.0 inch
1075 mm
42.4 inch

Connect the rods together in the middle with tape, string, a nail or whatever. Try to keep
them perpendicular to each other. You might want to brace the frame for extra strength.
Wind the wire around the rods as shown. This is the tricky part. In order to pull the wire
taught you need to tie together the corners of the ½ x lengths. I used electrical tape for
this. Connect the two ends of the length or wire together at one of the points where the
feeder connects, this involves stripping the insulation back a bit, winding the ends
together and, preferably, soldering them up. One of the conductors in the feeder connects to this point also, the other connects the corner of the adjacent loop. Strip a bit of insulation off at this corner and attach the other conductor of the feeder.
Connect the other end of the feeder to the 300 Ohm antenna input on your radio. If your
radio only has a 75 Ohm coax input then get a 300 to 75 Ohm converter (called a
"balun") from Radio Shack that plugs into the socket on the back of radio.
Now, fiddle with your antenna. Experiment with all different directions, orientations and
positions in your room till you get the best reception. To get the best signal, you may
need to reposition the antenna when you change stations. Also, moving things around the room, including yourself, may change reception. Best of all, install the antenna in your attic and run a longer length of feeder cable to your radio.

This antenna is a modified cubial quad design. The modification is to the feed that
increases the antenna's gain by 3db when receiving circular polarized signals. WZBC DJ
Ethan Funk is responsible for the modification to the design.

^^^^^If anyone is interested in reading up on the antenna project malsackj described above do a search on "fractal antenna." I have heard about it but have never attempted to make one. Pretty much all modern cell phones, laptop computers and tablet computers use this type of antenna. You may have noticed that new cellphones do not have an antenna on the top that either sticks out of must be pulled up to make telephone calls.

Thanks guys. I have tried a couple of suggestions so now I am down to either running a very long antenna wire from the basement across the ceiling. I think that would give me the length I would need. Or build a antenna as suggested above.

I am not a good builder of anything so I am really debating that one. It looks like something I could do, but so did changing the light switch.

Back