• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rainbow effects on Plasma?

nelmr

So far I have been enjoying my new plasma but...

I can see rainbow effects when there is a thin/small white area surround by black. I can see it mostly if my head moves up or down or my eyes scan up or down. I don't know if I can see it if the said white areas moves on the actual screen or not.

I thought rainbow effects were only on DLPs.

It's not a deal breakers as it's not too annoying, but I was taken aback by it.

I've noticed rainbows very rarely with both of my plasma sets. I never mentioned it because I thought I was either crazy or just being hyper sensitive. I see them all the time with DLP sets.

If I were guessing I'd say that this is a "banding" issue where the color gradient isn't smooth in the transition from bright white to the surrounding color.

John

Not in my case. What I see are small red/gree/blue flashes around areas of high contrast. It happens only rarely and usually when I shift my eyes and lasts only a fraction of a second.

It is most certainly not banding.

Interesting!

I am extremely sensitive to the effect you described when watching DLP projectors, something I do several hours a day in my job. However, I haven't experienced the effect on my plasma at all, nor have I noticed it on other plasma TVs I've seen.

Hmmm... maybe I am the crazy one.

Towen7 said:
Not in my case. What I see are small red/gree/blue flashes around areas of high contrast. It happens only rarely and usually when I shift my eyes and lasts only a fraction of a second.

It is most certainly not banding.

Yep it's very fast as T7 mentions.

You guys all need to get your eyes checked... :eek:bscene-buttred:

Batman said:

Which "all" need to get our eyes checked? Those who see dead people.. I mean.. rainbows? Or, those who do not see dead people... I mean... rainbows?

I see rainbows in the sky after a rain. Does that count?

Flint said:
Batman said:

Which "all" need to get our eyes checked? Those who see dead people.. I mean.. rainbows? Or, those who do not see dead people... I mean... rainbows?

I see rainbows in the sky after a rain. Does that count?
Any of you guys "claiming" to be seeing things on video displays that "aren't really" there at all...I mean I've never experienced any of these phenomenons so how do I know any of you aren't just padding your post counts, as a mod I feel it's

I've never been exposed to, or heard of "rainbow effect" with plasma display technology. LCD's have a potential to exhibit a "halo effect", where a bright object placed on a black back ground appears to have a bright surrounding, or halo.

Rope

Rope said:
I've never been exposed to, or heard of "rainbow effect" with plasma display technology. LCD's have a potential to exhibit a "halo effect", where a bright object placed on a black back ground appears to have a bright surrounding, or halo.

Rope

I also see some very slight halo effect as well (which I never had on LCD). However, the plasma is also much brighter in whites than the LCD was. From what I understand the halo is much improved on the GT25 compared to older models.

Anyway, the closest image I could see as regards the rainbow is something like the following (taken from the avsforums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1269271):

img2076h.jpg

Lastly, I want to make clear that these image imperfections are not nearly as bad in my opinion of the following (many of which plauge my LCD):
  • Clouding
  • Banding
  • Color Shift (sitting off axis)
  • Motion Blur
  • Lack of Deep Blacks
  • Crushing Blacks

Again, the rainbow effect it's relatively minor, some might even say subtle, but it is noticeable. I'm surprised not everyone can see it.

... I guess my eyes have a better refresh rate than most :teasing-neener:

Me either. That I've never heard of it happening to anyone else, and that it happens to me so rarley I never thought it was worth mentioning.

FWIW... I get a similar reaction when looking at some LED lights (not TVs). An example is LED tail lamps; if there are vechiles with LED tail lights in front of me and I scan my eyes quiclky I will see multiple images of the lamp (and only the lamp). The duplicates appear to trail the source. I dont see multiple colors though, just the color of the source. It's hard to descibe.

Towen7 said:
Me either. That I've never heard of it happening to anyone else, and that it happens to me so rarley I never thought it was worth mentioning.

FWIW... I get a similar reaction when looking at some LED lights (not TVs). An example is LED tail lamps; if there are vechiles with LED tail lights in front of me and I scan my eyes quiclky I will see multiple images of the lamp (and only the lamp). The duplicates appear to trail the source. I dont see multiple colors though, just the color of the source. It's hard to descibe.

LSD?

Question: are you sure this is an effect of the display and not your glasses? I have glasses, and when I look at certain lights, if I'm not looking exactly straight on through the lens, I sometimes see a little rainbowing.

I don't think so because the rainbow is transient. I cant hold my head still and continue to see it.

Off topic(?):

One day in college I walked into class while the prof was still cleaning up from the previous class. He had a spin-top laying on a table and I joked about how hard his other class must be. The top had a black and white checkered patern on it. He told me to spin it. The rainbows that appeared blew me away. When I asked what caused this he said no one really knew. He went on to say that if a picture of that was shown on a black & white TV, the rainbows appeared in full color.

Neat, huh?

John

Back