• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rainbow effects on Plasma?

yromj said:
Off topic(?):

One day in college I walked into class while the prof was still cleaning up from the previous class. He had a spin-top laying on a table and I joked about how hard his other class must be. The top had a black and white checkered patern on it. He told me to spin it. The rainbows that appeared blew me away. When I asked what caused this he said no one really knew. He went on to say that if a picture of that was shown on a black & white TV, the rainbows appeared in full color.

Neat, huh?

John
Can't remember the show, but I do remember seeing that on my folks' black-n-white Zenith...

Jacked up sharpness control will produce a halo on plasma. Check you sharpness and brightness controls and do a disc base calibration if you haven't already.

Rope

I promise that what I and nelmr are describing is NOT the halo effect and it's not color banding. Clearly you guys don't see it and think were crazy. But even if we are (and I'm not saying we're not) let me be clear... it's NOT banding and it's NOT halo.

It "looks" almost exactly like DLP rainbows only not as obvious or annoying.

FWIW, I realize you're not seeing banding. I am just wondering if it's somehow related to the phenomonon I mentioned.

Also, y'all may want to read some of the posts on a couple of pages of this thread. I saw it today and thought of this discussion.

John

Here is the rainbow effect, most noticable at around 19 seconds, look on the back of the coat. This is what I see, well similar at least, mostly golden color flashes. I'll try to make a video of my own with my 720p vado.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXywRRlgmu4[/youtube]

That's an extreme example of phosphor lag which is not what I was talking about.

Towen7 said:
That's an extreme example of phosphor lag which is not what I was talking about.

True, but it is similar to my eyes. I see such effect if the high contrast area is static and not moving, such as the playstation overlay of "would you like to stop playback" white letters on black. If I shift my eyes quickly it will produce the golden color flashes. Sometimes I see blue in there too. Thus why I say rainbow. I tried to record this at 30fps 720p but have not be able to be successful. What gets recorded is not what my eyes see! I guess shifting eyes is not the same thing as shaking the camera.

I think I'm done trying to explain what I sometimes see. Maybe I am crazy.

Towen7 said:
I think I'm done trying to explain what I sometimes see. Maybe I am crazy.
Just take solace that you're not as crazy as Rope... :eusa-whistle:

Back