• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Really cool or just going to cost us more money?

Huey

Famous
Dish has or is working on a dvr that will completely skip commercials. Kinky Linky

About 25% of network tv is commercials, so in essence it would be like getting a 25% bigger hard drive. Plus the fact that you would just hit play and sit back and watch your programs would be pretty cool as well. On the other hand, networks would have to come up with some way of making money if their ad revenue was cut off.

I don't see how Dish would be allowed to get away with such a device. Even if they did intorduce it to the market I would foresee several lawsuits from advertisers and I am sure eventually networks would start pulling their channels from Dish or start charging more for Dish to carry their channel to compensate for the missed product exposure.

Sounds like a pipe dream...and that's coming from someone that hates commercials more than anyone else!

Dish will just pass-on the costs & mark those up also..........pay-to-view

The TV execs are not happy

dish Auto Hop

Apparently News Corp/Fox will refuse to run any Dish commercials about the new DVR and of course law suits are being planned.

This is a risky move by Dish. I like it. The content providers will have to raise their per/subscriber rates to Dish to offset the inevitable drop in ad revenue. Dish will have to figure out how valuable the product is and hope that offsets their increased payout.

I already pay for this service, HBO. The few shows I watch that have commercials I DVR and wait to watch...15-20 minutes is usually enough.

We may see soon ads that scroll across the programming, or pop up in various places (as on YouTube now).

Deacon said:
I don't see how Dish would be allowed to get away with such a device. Even if they did intorduce it to the market I would foresee several lawsuits from advertisers and I am sure eventually networks would start pulling their channels from Dish or start charging more for Dish to carry their channel to compensate for the missed product exposure.

Sounds like a pipe dream...and that's coming from someone that hates commercials more than anyone else!

Barney said:
Dish will just pass-on the costs & mark those up also..........pay-to-view

mzpro5 said:
The TV execs are not happy

dish Auto Hop

Apparently News Corp/Fox will refuse to run any Dish commercials about the new DVR and of course law suits are being planned.

Towen7 said:
This is a risky move by Dish. I like it. The content providers will have to raise their per/subscriber rates to Dish to offset the inevitable drop in ad revenue. Dish will have to figure out how valuable the product is and hope that offsets their increased payout.

Botch said:
We may see soon ads that scroll across the programming, or pop up in various places (as on YouTube now).

Dear Dish Network,

If you have the least bit of common sense in your collective heads, then please read the following quotes above in this post and take them into account before going forward with "Dish Auto Hop". While I hate commercials, I'm not willing to pay more on my already high as hell bill just to keep from fast forwarding through them. Some of us in your customer base are just not that fucking lazy. It's bad enough those of us who've stayed on board for past 5+ years continue to get screwed when it comes to new gear being released by you (Dish Hopper, VIP922, etc.) just so the new customers can get a break (ever heard of customer loyalty assholes??). Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dish Customer #1001001.

No, I'm not one to be pessimistic. :doh:

I've been with Dish ~10 years, overall have been happy and love their equipment, I'm not on board with this at all...here's hoping they come to their senses. :doh:

I've been seeing AT&T in my neighborhood more than usual here lately. I think I may "ditch the Dish" and go with Uverse. I don't want to, but figure I could take advantage of the new customer perks and clear some debt.

Besides, I don't really like paying more, after being with them for over 7 years, than someone who's just now gotten hooked up with free install, low payments for 6 or 12 months, etc. It's bullshit when you think about it.

I called years ago and asked for same pricing, equipment upgrades or a loyalty customer discount in the past. One time I got all I asked for and was happy for another few years. The last time I asked for some customer loyalty perks, they said no - so I said "screw you, I'm going to cable".
It is frustrating though.

Yesfan70 said:
I've been seeing AT&T in my neighborhood more than usual here lately. I think I may "ditch the Dish" and go with Uverse. I don't want to, but figure I could take advantage of the new customer perks and clear some debt.

Besides, I don't really like paying more, after being with them for over 7 years, than someone who's just now gotten hooked up with free install, low payments for 6 or 12 months, etc. It's bullshit when you think about it.
I don't see it this way, they were running a promotion at the time I signed up, that I took advantage of at that time...there will always be perks for new customers.

Batman said:
Yesfan70 said:

I don't see it this way, they were running a promotion at the time I signed up, that I took advantage of at that time...there will always be perks for new customers.

True, but what is the average time that the average consumer stays with a content provider? I was hoping for a little more when inquiring about the Hopper after seven years of loyalty, but I'm going to have to pay about $200 more to upgrade to that over the new guy. I can understand if I was just with them for a couple of years, but I think customers who've not switched in 5, 10, etc. years should also get some perks as well. After all, they (all, not just Dish), change their tune pretty quick when they think you're going to leave for a competitor.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not unhappy with Dish. I think I would be saying the same thing if I were with Charter, DirecTV, Uverse, etc.

I have been with DTV for over 12 years.

If every couple of years you call CS and bitch and moan about the deals new customers are getting and threaten to change, they will throw you a bone and offer something like free premium channels or some other deal to placate you.

When we changed Mom over to whole home service I used that tactic and got a bunch of initial costs dropped. As much of a pain in the ass it is sometimes you just got to play the system.

Back