• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rear Mounts Studio 20's

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Just an update for my 2.1 to 5.1 update.

I had an issue with how to mount my rears for my 5.1 update. I decided to purchase the Pinpoint AM-40 Wall mounts, but needed to find a way to these mounts from the ceiling. First of all I screwed up and ordered 2 sets of mounts, because the ad was not clear that each box has mounts for 2 speakers.

I took some 1/8" CRS Plate and drilled a hole in the center to fit the tubing for the hanger. I also drilled 4 mounting holes and countersank them.

I also took some 1/8 CRS Plate and copied the mount from the AM-40 Mounts and drill 4 new mounting holes.

After having a friend weld the top mounts and the mounts for the AM-40's to the 1/2" tube, I primed and painted with a black satin paint.

A couple of views of the finished product.

Attachments

• 1102280001.JPG
    1102280001.JPG
    947.2 KB · Views: 969
  • 1102280004.JPG
    1102280004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 969
  • 1102280006.JPG
    1102280006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 969
  • 1102280008.JPG
    1102280008.JPG
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 1102280010.JPG
    1102280010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 969
Very cool! That last pic hints at a rather unusual room to design a soundfield for.

Those long, black poles from the ceiling. Have you thought about mounting a potted vine near the top, and letting the vines cover it up? Not that I mind the black poles, but I bet the wife might go "hmmmm"... ;) So when's the GTG?

That's pretty cool, actually. Gives it a bit more of a modern look to it, which seems to match your room.

Outstanding. As Botch observed, it looks like you are dealing with a pretty tough space. So... The question in my mind is "What does your wife think of the solution?"

Lookin' Good Macgyver!!

That is one way to fix a "Bad Room". I too have a partially open back wall and it looks like you've come up with a great solution. As long as the are high enough that you don't hit your head?!?!? :eek:

Also, how did you "secure" the speaker?

....and, do they aim over your heads when seated?

Congratulations, they look great! :text-bravo:

Dennie

Hey Guys......

First of all the wife helped with the installation and the placement (with my input).

The room SUCKS!!! However, It was not going to stop US from doing this upgrade.

The modern look with the black poles is better in person and there will be NO viney plants on them.

The ceilings are 9' tall and the bottom of the mount is about 6' 3"; so nobody in my family will hit their heads. The pole is 32" long and the speakers are about 14 tall, it actually looks good in the room, the wife thinks so also.

As far as the GTG, the wife says she will make all the food (she is a better cook than me) but you guys bring the German Beer and Movies (however, we have quite the sellection of DVD Movies and Concerts) Oh Yea, next years upgrade will be the Bluray Player and the HD TV. Remember that my Plasma is only an EDTV, but looks great!!!!

Thanks for all of your encourgement during this upgrade, I will keep you posted. :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :happy-smileygiantred: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

heeman said:
it actually looks good in the room, the wife thinks so also.
That's all that matters! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Sorry Dennie, I missed your question on how they are secured.....

The mounts are screwed into a double 2 x 6 joist in the attic. I used (4) 2" stainless steel wood screws on each mount. They went in very tight. I pulled extremely hard on them after they were mounted, and they shouldn't go anywhere. I will check them once in a while to make sure they are still tight.

I need to run the wires next............

Can you run the wires down through the pipes?

Well done! A very creative solution that looks great too... :handgestures-thumbup:

The speaker wires were run thru the attic and down the walls/tubes today after work by me.

It was HOT up there already!!!!

The 20's are connected and temperarily hooked up to my 50 W Onkyo receiver that we use for our outdoor speakers.

I need that Onkyo TX-NR708 NOW, it will be at least a week!!!! :angry-tappingfoot:

I realy love that approach.

They are high enough to be out of the way and still positioned perfectly.

I have to echo the other posts. Outstanding job. My only regret is not seeing this post when I did my surrounds, mainly the right side surround speaker. Due to the layout of my basement, I had to use a ceiling style TV mount which cost me more than I was wanting to spend.

Thanks again for the compliments!

I want this project to turn out the best that it can.

Still working on the Flexi-rack, hanging these 20's was higher priority for me. Should finish that next week.

You're doing a hell of a job and probably giving some of us some good ideas about our own setups.

Keep up the good work.

Back