• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Receiver Dilemma

Haywood

Famous
I've been wanting a new receiver all year and my father gave me some money for Christmas that I am not allowed to spend on bills that can go toward one. I've been eyeing a Marantz SR-6010 all year and accessoriesforless has refurbs on sale for $699. The dilemma is that I'm a little gun-shy about spending that much right now and they also have the Yamaha TSR-7790 (aka RX-V779) for $399. The Marantz has more power, a better auto-calibration system, more HDCP 2.2 inputs and Dolby Atmos capability. Here's the thing though: I only use the receiver's amps to drive my surrounds, there is no possibility of setting up Atmos any time in the foreseeable future and I doubt I will ever need more than the three HDMI 2.0a inputs on the Yamaha. I also need to spend another $200 on an HDFury Linker so that I can strip the HDCP off the 2nd Zone HDMI feed and scale it down to 1080p for the TV in the kitchen.

I'm really torn here. I want the Marantz, but is it really worth the extra $300 given my constraints?

Can you wait?

I know I will get someone saying I am crazy or wrong or something else but I really have liked my Marantz products more than my Yamaha. My RX V2500 still sees duty in my basement system I would love to replace it, just cant justify it right now.

I had a Marantz SR-7000 back in the say and still use a Marantz MM-9000 power amp. I'm a huge fan of their products, which is why I'm so tempted to just bite the bullet and do it. This was a $1400 receiver last year and I can get a two year warranty on that refurb for $50.

Or I could wait, kluge something together and wait until next year.

I say go with Yamaha. Why? Because I have become a Yamaha fan lately. My current Yamaha Aventage A830 receiver is my favorite receiver from all the different ones I've had during the years.

Back