• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Receiver or Amp & Receiver For Studio 100

Mr.6

Hey Everybody,

I recently got a good deal on a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v5 and now I need a receiver. I am seriously looking at an Anthem MRX-510 but keep wondering if maybe I should buy an amp and a cheaper receiver. The MRX-510 dishes out 75 watts 5 channels driven and can be bi-amped. It costs $1759.00 Canadian and is very well reviewed.

I have never owned separates only receivers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mr.6

enjoy my avatar!

Those Studio 100's are very efficient, as I'm sure you know. Because of it, I don't think you'll need very much power at all but, also because of it, you're going to need very clean power, regardless of the amount.

Other than power, what functions do you need from a receiver?

Can you get those functions in a pre/pro plus seperate amps within your budget?

It's true. An incredible sounding stereo preamp can be had for very little money, especially used.

Towen7 said:
Other than power, what functions do you need from a receiver?

Can you get those functions in a pre/pro plus seperate amps within your budget?

I don't need anything special which is one of the reasons the MRX-510 was interesting.

As long as it decodes all the latest HD audio and is atleast 5.1. Oh and of course atleast 5 HDMI 1.4a inputs.

I want it to sound good. Real good!

So the next question is can you get those features in a package that is as easy to use and sounds as good as th Anthem for under $1,800 Canadian?

Flint said:
It's true. An incredible sounding stereo preamp can be had for very little money, especially used.

Flint,

I read in one of your posts that most people don't need more than 85 - 100 watts in there system. (or something close to that.)

Do you still believe that? In your opinion does the MRX 510 have enough power? (75 w X 5)

Also, I am looking at used amps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Towen7 said:
So the next question is can you get those features in a package that is as easy to use and sounds as good as th Anthem for under $1,800 Canadian?

So far no.

My other option is to simply get the anthem and buy a stereo amp in a coupe of years.

Dumb question. Do you have 5 speakers of just the pair of 100"s? You could get a used prepro and 2 channel amp for what you would spend on the Anthem. Of course that does you NO good if you are running a 5 channel system of course.
Since you are Canadian I suggest http://www.canuckaudiomart.com. Take a look around and see what shows up. Saw an ad for a Integra DHC-9.9, for $650. Grab a few amps and you are into seperates!!
Mike

mcad64 said:
Dumb question. Do you have 5 speakers of just the pair of 100"s? You could get a used prepro and 2 channel amp for what you would spend on the Anthem. Of course that does you NO good if you are running a 5 channel system of course.
Since you are Canadian I suggest http://www.canuckaudiomart.com. Take a look around and see what shows up. Saw an ad for a Integra DHC-9.9, for $650. Grab a few amps and you are into seperates!!
Mike

Yeah I'm on canuckaudiomart. Keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of studio 20s and a sub.

Currently it is a 2.0 system, but will be a 5.1 system in the near future.

Some on here will tell you it isn't as important to match the surrounds to the mains. L/C/R yes, surrounds not so much. That being said I can understand that you would want all in the same family. Reason I bring this up is that I have had Paradigm Mini Monitors for 10 years now (as surrounds), and bang for buck I think these are fantastic little speakers.
Mike

Back