• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Recommend a low cost surge protector.

Maximo

Preferably a component style, but basicaly I need a decent surge protector to protect my gear. Unless anyone here can recommend a whole house surge protector.

Like a lemming I've just followed the forum's standard advice and use Tripp Lite exclusively for my HT stuff. Probably overkill but so far no problems.

HT10DBS in the living room. I paid ~$80 on buy.com several years ago.
Isobar4Ultra (x2) and a OMNI1500LCD in the HT room. (I don't recall where I got the Isobar 4's but they were ~$30 and I got the UPS on eBay).

Maximo said:
Preferably a component style, but basicaly I need a decent surge protector to protect my gear. Unless anyone here can recommend a whole house surge protector.
125-004_L.jpg

125-004_Li.jpg

:text-link:

Any surge protector works. I speak from experience, my house was struck by lightning once and every single electronic device plugged into any form of surge protector, no matter how cheap, survived - well, the power supplied survived. My Ethernet network was fried, my phone lines were fried, and my CRT TVs and computer monitors were fried (from the EMP).

The $100 tripplite noise filter did no better than the $5 Walgreens brand power strip I purchase as a socket expander, not for surge protection.

I use an APC on the majority of my components but it's not "low-cost".

However, my in-wall TV needed something separate and I got this:
21aY7-OpwbL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I imagine you could plug a $12 power strip directly into it and, for surge protection only, you'd be set.

Batman said:
Maximo said:
125-004_L.jpg

125-004_Li.jpg

I have thiis same console model (HT810ISOCTR) from Tripp-Lite
(information at a glance) ~ and it takes up very little space, and works fine.
Picked it up on sale for only slightly less than Parts Express is selling it for.

recommended . . .

Back