• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Record Day? Did anyone get out and look around?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Well, I had a nice long detailed post about Ben and me heading to Knoxville and Chattanooga to hit some record stores only to have the forum take a shit on my post by having me to "re-log in" and my post being lost somewhere in cyberspace. :angry-banghead:

So the short version.

We hit three stores and I left with the following:

On CD:
Atlantic Jazz - Best of the 60s
Eric Clapton & JJ Cale - The Road to Escondido
Camel - Rain Dances
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Beck - Odelay

On Vinyl:
Herbie Hancock - Monster
Yes - An Evening with Jon Anderson (radio show)
Charlie Christian - Genius of the Electric Guitar
Art Blakey - Once Upon A Groove (still sealed!)
Duke Ellington - Live in Concert at the Virgin Islands
Argent - Nexus
Jimi Hendrix - Rare Hendrix
Stephane Grappelli & Yehudi Menuhin - Jalousie, Music of the 30s.

On Laserdisc:
Rush - Through the Camera Eye
Glenn Frey - Live in Dublin
Buddy Rich - Live in San Francisco

Had a great time!

Laserdiscs, eh? Couldn't get those concerts on DVD? :teasing-tease:

Unfortunately, I didn't get out. Though, I do miss the days of spending time in record stores and coming home with a bunch of new CDs. That was fun. But I've mentioned it before not too long ago that all the stores by me are either closed or just plain suck now. Well... There's still one cool store left, but it's pretty far away from me. So nowadays, for the most part, I'll just take advantage of the used deals on Amazon; that is, until those deals start to disappear, too, which I'm afraid they eventually will. Or at least I worry the selection (and the good deals) won't be as plentiful as it is now, anyway.

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_17859934

Coincidentally, I just read an interesting article about how Best Buy is once again planning to shrink their music/movies section. What's possibly the saddest part, though, is that music and movies are now such a non-factor with regards to sales that Best Buy will be outsourcing those departments (as far as what to order, and even as far as re-stocking the shelves). Yep, Best Buy employees won't even be the ones putting the CDs and DVDs and BluRays on the shelves anymore.

Kazaam said:
Laserdiscs, eh? Couldn't get those concerts on DVD? :teasing-tease:

Unfortunately, I didn't get out. Though, I do miss the days of spending time in record stores and coming home with a bunch of new CDs. That was fun. But I've mentioned it before not too long ago that all the stores by me are either closed or just plain suck now. Well... There's still one cool store left, but it's pretty far away from me. So nowadays, for the most part, I'll just take advantage of the used deals on Amazon; that is, until those deals start to disappear, too, which I'm afraid they eventually will. Or at least I worry the selection (and the good deals) won't be as plentiful as it is now, anyway.

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_17859934

Coincidentally, I just read an interesting article about how Best Buy is once again planning to shrink their music/movies section. What's possibly the saddest part, though, is that music and movies are now such a non-factor with regards to sales that Best Buy will be outsourcing those departments (as far as what to order, and even as far as re-stocking the shelves). Yep, Best Buy employees won't even be the ones putting the CDs and DVDs and BluRays on the shelves anymore.

Nope. All those LDs have not been released on DVD. Rush is an exception though as the Chronicles DVD has a lot of the same videos as my LD has, but without "Vital Signs", "Countdown" (my favorite Rush music video), and "Body Electric". I'll probably pick that one up later.

The other two are VHS only. The Buddy Rich show is also available as a 2CD set, but used prices are around $42. I might consider that one if the LD is good enough and I like it.

So when did you get a laserdisc player? Did you have it from a long time ago before DVD came along? Or is it a more recent acquisition?

Myself, I thought about picking up a used laserdisc player quite a few years back just to mess around with; but the closest I ever got was merely picking up the laserdisc edition of "Braveheart". It was dirt cheap and I thought it looked cool (oversized silver discs, double LP-style gatefold). I once put the Braveheart laserdisc artwork into a record album frame and hung it on the wall. Looked good. That's something that we'll be missing one day as fewer physical media gets released. Granted, CD and BluRay artwork pales in comparison to the detailed larger size you get with vinyl records and laserdiscs. But it's still nice to have, even if I mostly just rip my CDs to the computer and stash the CD and its artwork away in the closet nowadays.

I've had mine for a number of years, so it's not a new purchase. LDs are a great source for older concert videos if you can find them. I bought those LDs at Chad's.

Back