• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Redbox Renting 4K Ultra HD Discs in Test Markets

Too bad it’s not in Houston, but I really hope this is a successful test.

Cool. However I have yet to buy that player. Have my rock solid Oppo 103D and all of my media is Bluray. Hard for me to justify the additional cost knowing I'm sure 8K or whatever is not far away

Cool. However I have yet to buy that player. Have my rock solid Oppo 103D and all of my media is Bluray. Hard for me to justify the additional cost knowing I'm sure 8K or whatever is not far away

I’d buy a dedicated player today if I could rent 4K discs. I’m using an Xbox One S and it’s not a great experience. But I don’t plan on buying a bunch of discs so the only reason to invest in a player would be the availability of rentals.

Guys, if you have a 4K tv and a healthy bluray collection, get a 4K player. My only experience, other than briefly trying out a Samsung, has been with the Sony X800, but upconverted blurays look stunning. You won't regret it.

Guys, if you have a 4K tv and a healthy bluray collection, get a 4K player. My only experience, other than briefly trying out a Samsung, has been with the Sony X800, but upconverted blurays look stunning. You won't regret it.
So the Blu Ray image would be better up converted on a 4k player than on the TV? That's basically the difference, no?

So the Blu Ray image would be better up converted on a 4k player than on the TV? That's basically the difference, no?
Comparing a netflix picture between my 1080p Roku and the Sony 4K player, the Sony wins, although I haven't done much comparison. I never did have a bluray player hooked up to this tv, so I couldn't compare between the Sony and a bluray player, but I know the first bluray I watched on it, I was just amazed how well it looked. Funny story, the wife and I had caught Office Party at the theaters a year ago last Christmas, so we bought the bluray when it first came out. This was on the new tv and Sony. I thought the picture looked off, not bad, just off, and then I realized we had watched the dvd version that came with it. Threw the bluray in, and it looked fantastic. The Sony does such a great job upconverting.

Back