• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Reel to Reel time

I'm almost certain VHS contained analog data... Yes: "The Video Home System[1][2] (better known by its abbreviation VHS[3]) is a consumer-level analog recording videotape-based cassette standard developed by Victor Company of Japan (JVC)."

:text-link:

Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:
...and back to the OP...

Wards,

Any issues with old tape? Still sound like it did in its day?

Jeff
When Wardsweb tells you that it does indeed sound as good (or better if you're one of those analog aficionados) and then you decide to start seeking out R2R players, let me know. I know where you can pick up an immaculate Teac X-1000R.

So do you have a Teac X-1000R or know someone who does? At one time, I owned three at the same time. Now I only have one of them left and it needs some work.

JeffMackwood said:
...and back to the OP...

Wards,

Any issues with old tape? Still sound like it did in its day?

Jeff

The nice thing about tape is it does sound as good years later. The exceptions being some know bad tape that broke down over years or was stored in the attic. I've got things like original Dave Brubeck, Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith from the 50's and 60's that are still awesome. I have a lot of stuff my Dad, his friends and I have recorded over the years that have that analog magic with no noise.

PaulyT said:
I'm almost certain VHS contained analog data... Yes: "The Video Home System[1][2] (better known by its abbreviation VHS[3]) is a consumer-level analog recording videotape-based cassette standard developed by Victor Company of Japan (JVC)."

:text-link:

Flint needs to pipe up here. I think he mentioned something on the S&V forums about Sony having a hand in the development of VHS but abandoning it for Beta.

So my question now is..........when are some of ya'll going to San Antonio ? A day isn't enough at Wardswebs home.......he has a colletion of LP's that I would love to hear....both sides.

Barney said:
So my question now is..........when are some of ya'll going to San Antonio ? A day isn't enough at Wardswebs home.......he has a colletion of LP's that I would love to hear....both sides.
Barney no need for a meet. You're welcomed anytime. Just let me know before you drive down to make sure I'll be home. You need to get your wife and Frank's wife together and then ya'll can hang out at my place.

Barney said:
Barney,

My hotel's booked: the Hilton Palacio del Rio.

I arrive 2013 June 1 and depart 2013 June 8.

Let the planning begin!

Jeff

ps. I'm serious!

JeffMackwood said:
Barney,

My hotel's booked: the Hilton Palacio del Rio. I arrive 2013 June 1 and depart 2013 June 8. Let the planning begin!

Jeff

ps. I'm serious!

So, shall I start a thread for "The Audio Annex - San Antonio 2013"? Make this an official gathering?

Luther

All VHS and Beta video recording machines had analog video and analog audio. They did suffer from significant wow and flutter and had high noise levels. That's why the invention of "HiFi" capabilities on VHS and the equivalent on BetaMax was such a huge deal for home audio enthusiasts. With HiFi the audio was stored as an FM signal, just like FM radio broadcasts, but with a wider frequency response and less noise. It was the bee's knees until digital audio was introduced on later versions of LaserDisc.

Yes, Sony held many of the patents required for VHS to go to market but chose not to participate in that technology as they knew Beta was superior in every way. They were just too late to market and most of the other electronics makers joined the VHS bandwagon before Beta could really get a strong enough foothold in the ciritical US market.

I used a Studer 1/2 track mastering deck in my studio along with a Otari 4 track recorder. I also had a few Pioneer reel to reel machines and became the recycling center for most of the reel to reel machines in my town as I had a reputation for repairing them and finding them homes. People brought me their old decks in hopes I could find someone to actually use them. They didn't care about making any money back, they just loved their machines so much they couldn't stand tossing them out. Audio nuts were like that back before the internet. Today if I had some killer tech which was losing favor I could probably find someone online to buy it.

I always preferred 15 ips for 1/4 track on 1/4" tape. But for 1/2 track on 1/4" tape I preferred 30ips. I would make my studio mix tapes at 7.5ips as that could run for hours on a 10" reel using 1/4 track heads and reversing the tape at the end.

Wardsweb said:
JeffMackwood said:
Barney,

My hotel's booked: the Hilton Palacio del Rio. I arrive 2013 June 1 and depart 2013 June 8. Let the planning begin!

Jeff

ps. I'm serious!

So, shall I start a thread for "The Audio Annex - San Antonio 2013"? Make this an official gathering?

Luther
Heck of a great idea! :)

On a serious tape kick right now. My buddy from Austin stopped by and left me this Tascam BR-20 to play with. This is some serious machine and the Tape Project tapes are phenomenal.

TascamBR20.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS

Around 1984, JVC added Hi-Fi audio to VHS (in response to
Betamax's introduction of Beta Hi-Fi.) Both VHS Hi-Fi and Betamax Hi-Fi delivered flat full-range frequency response (20 Hz to 20 kHz), excellent 70 dB signal-to-noise ratio (in consumer space, second only to the compact disc), dynamic range of 90 dB, and professional audio-grade channel separation (more than 70dB). VHS Hi-Fi audio is achieved by using audio frequency modulation (AFM), modulating the two stereo channels (L, R) on two different frequency-modulated carriers and embedding the combined modulated audio signal pair into the video signal.

With 70 DB signal to noise at full speed becuase of amps and resistors from the day. They are equal. I have audio on both formats still and my R to R is Teac A-2300. I also have my fathers old 1964 RCA R to R with 1/4 inch half track mono. This was modified with wire wound 1 percent resistors and I have no clue as to its Signal To noise.

Back