• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Remote for TV (Panasonic), AT&T Box and Oppo Player

bmwuk

With room for expansion (receiver) and possible another device.

I have been out of it for some time so wondering if a Harmony or URC (R40) might work for my purposes. I just want to ensure that all controls get picked up (learning). Thanks in advance.

You should be good with a Harmony; I have no experience with URC. There's a fairly recent thread about the Harmony 700...

My default recommendation for people looking for an end-all be-all remote is the Logitech Harmony. We have two 650 series and they work great. If you're willing to program it with a computer and even do a little tweaking to make sure it's all good, the Harmony is your daddy.

bmwuk said:
Does the Harmony 650 have learning as well? Reposition soft buttons?

Yes, it can learn. As for reposition soft buttons, you mean the ones on the LCD? If so, yes.

FYI guys, this is a BB exclusive but still may help some out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1,064
Yeah, looks like an updated version, rechargeable battery, and more devices supported (I think the 650 maxed out at 6).

I got the 650 because I prefer removable batteries since I've heard not glowing reviews on the rechargeables.

That said, where can I find a bunch of icons to use for favorite channels? I am in Houston, utilizing AT&T U-verse. Some seem dated and I can't find items like Disney Jr or local icons. Thanks.

bmwuk said:
Where can I find a bunch of icons to use for favorite channels? I am in Houston, utilizing AT&T U-verse. Some seem dated and I can't find items like Disney Jr or local icons. Thanks.
Here's one site: http://www.iconharmony.com/icons/home There are many others, just type "Logitech Harmony 650 icons" into Google. I don't know if they have city-specific icons; instead of "KUTV" I just use "CBS" and that's fine (the site I've used did have icons for all the different ESPN channels).

GRRRRRR. For some reason, the volume down button puts the volume up. This is using the AT&T DVR and teaching it the commands from my TV remote. I'm not sure if it is the issue of "Watch TV" task versus the individual device. Anyone have issues with this or have suggestions? Thanks.

Be prepared to tweak for the next week or so. I find that the Harmony software gets you about 80% or so there just by entering your devices and setting up the activities but as you use it you'll find issues that need to be corrected or adjustments based on preferences.

You shouldn't have had to teach the Harmony anything from your TV remote - if your exact Samsung isn't in the database just pick a different model and I bet it'll work.

CMonster said:
Be prepared to tweak for the next week or so. I find that the Harmony software gets you about 80% or so there just by entering your devices and setting up the activities but as you use it you'll find issues that need to be corrected or adjustments based on preferences.

You shouldn't have had to teach the Harmony anything from your TV remote - if you're exact Samsung isn't in the database just pick a different model and I bet it'll work.

This. Most of the time there's a little tweaking to be done- certain buttons aren't assigned properly, others not at all, you decide to reshuffle the stuff on the LCD, etc. In the past there was more stuff to be done in regards to repeat and delay timing but that seems to have been worked out over the years.

How do I add a macro for going in and removing or adding CC for tv watching? With a baby, my wife likes to watch a show with CC on so the volume isn't loud while being with our daughter. I'm thinking a three or four step motion to add and remove it. Thanks.

As for the TV model, I got it right. I think the task of "Watching TV" got things screwed up with the buttons and I corrected.

Finally, I don't see an issue with keeping the DVR box on at all times. That said, how can I remove the step of turning off the box. I would like to see the commands in order and adjust. Thanks.

Also, it seems the smart hub button is excluded from the TV remote. How do I access it or do I need to teach the Harmony? Thanks.

bmwuk said:
Also, it seems the smart hub button is excluded from the TV remote. How do I access it or do I need to teach the Harmony? Thanks.

I just checked Device -> TV on my Harmony 880 and SmartHub is a soft button for my Samsung F8500 so it should be an available button for you - just go to Customize Buttons for your Watch TV activity and add it. While you're there check to see if there's a closed caption button that you can add. Not sure if there are discrete settings for CC; it might just be a single command that you click through to get to the desired setting in which case a macro really wouldn't help.

I know you want fast, easy answers but you really need to explore the software and the commands available for each of your devices yourself. It's a small learning curve, I swear, and totally worth the time spent figuring it out. A good start is to just hit the Device button on the remote, select each one, and scroll through the pages of available commands. That lets you know what can be added to an activity as a customizable soft button.

Back