• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Renovation of old amplifiers

Orbison

I have a 20+ year old amp that seems to work OK for my 2 ch system, but given its age I'm wondering if I should consider "re-capping" it. A visual inspection of the interior didn't reveal any parts obviously needing attention. I've cleaned the pots with Deoxit but that's it so far. What would be the audible symptoms of an old amplifier that needs renovation? Distortion, sibilance, or??

Over at DIY audio, some members say "if it ain't broke don't fix it", while others say equipment this old could benefit from some work.

FWIW, this is a Harman Kardon HK6200 integrated amp - high current, SS but no IC's. Original list price was $350 according to HK. Seems like a solid amp that might be worth some TLC.

Comments anyone?

Thanks

I have an old Pioneer that is supposed to be badass. I would like to try it but when I read about it, I was told if it hadn't been played in a long time it could catch on fire. I wouldnt mind checking into getting it checked out good or maybe refurbed.

Can't remember the model number now but it has 2 exposed power supplies and it is pretty sexy.

There is a thread here somewhere on fixing/reworking old amp. I would guess the recap-ing (and replacing other parts) is for future assurance.

If it performs well sonically, the old saying holds true...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rope

with the older tube amps it has been common to use a variarc ??? adjustable transformer to slowly bring the power up to normal. This was to prevent the power supply from passing bad power on to a component. This is best done by the pros. Normally this is to make sure that the bridge rectifier and filter capacitors are not leaking, open, or shorting.

With most of the solid state gear this would be true for the older power supplies. They are typically made up of a transformer. Diodes / bridge rectifier. Filter Capacitors, Then either another round of filter capacitors or into Solid state Power rectifier.

With the advent of using switching power supplies the start up from cold might be a different story these days.

Back