• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Replacement for Sansa Clip

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Well, my ~5yo Sansa Clip player just died, and my wife's been using it for her audiobooks and so has tasked me with a replacement. Doesn't need to be an audiophile device, just something that can play MP3 and is small, something she can easily put in a pocket or strap onto her arm or something while she's out walking.

Suggestions?

OK I see the SanDisk "Clip Sport" which is about the same thing, and is all of $44... probably will order one of those.

Flint - we don't have smartphones. Only cheapo prepaid flip phones.

Mainly because I work mostly at home sitting in front of my computer all day, so there's no need for me to have a fancy phone (and pay large monthly $$) for the relatively small amount of time I spend traveling. And the only one I ever talk to on it is my wife, for simple logistical stuff (when are you coming home? What do you need at the store? etc.). I just can't see it being worth the expense for something I don't feel I have a need for.

I can respect that.

For me, I use damn near every feature of the smartphone, so it has become my proverbial "swiss army knife" of doing everything. One device to rule them all.

PaulyT said:
Mainly because I work mostly at home sitting in front of my computer all day, so there's no need for me to have a fancy phone (and pay large monthly $$) for the relatively small amount of time I spend traveling. And the only one I ever talk to on it is my wife, for simple logistical stuff (when are you coming home? What do you need at the store? etc.). I just can't see it being worth the expense for something I don't feel I have a need for.

That's right Pauly, don't let'um fool you. You don't need no stinking smartphone!

Deacon said:
PaulyT said:

That's right Pauly, don't let'um fool you. You don't need no stinking smartphone!
.....while his wife & two daughters are not smiling, arms crossed, & tapping their feet.

:laughing-rolling: Barney, you got that right! My older daughter (11) complains regularly about not having an iPad or a smartphone (with actual phone+text access; she has a cheapo windows phone but no service plan, so it's just a small wifi tablet).

Paul, I bought my son a new phone & he gave me his Galaxy S 4. My 1st smart phone....I love it, surf the web, jam on alot of music, price check stuff while at the stores. My son wanted a better battery life span that the Samsungs & so we bought him a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 from Amazon. He loves the phone. Its unlocked and can be used with AT&T or T-Mobile (which we have). It won't work with Sprint or Verizon.
http://www.amazon.com/HUAWEI-MT7-L09-Un ... end+mate+7

Nice! See this other thread, I was just asking about a tablet for my daughter.

http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9216

But I'm sure as hell not going to buy her a $400+ device, not for an 11 yo... (I know I'm a terrible parent :eusa-whistle: ) In fact, she's spending her own money to get the tablet, which with the trade-in and a B&N gift card she already has, will bring it well under $100.

Huey said:
PaulyT said:
Flint - we don't have smartphones. Only cheapo prepaid flip phones.

This surprises me Pauly. Why the no love for smartphones?

Cuz he's too GANGSTA for a smart phone. You don't need a smart phone when you got serious street cred.

Shiiiiiiiit everybody knows five-O be all up in your data. You gotta have a flip phone to throw down in case the block gets hot.

Back