• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Replacing my IEMs

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
After 5+ years of soul enriching enjoyment, my old Shure E5c IEMs have finally started falling apart - specifically the wire jacket which wraps over my ears. Considering the thousands of hours of use these got, the places they've been (nearly every major city in the US and Canada plus Jamaica, Ireland, Finland, London, and Israel), they have held up pretty darn well. In addition to using them for music while traveling, I also use them as monitors when recording, as music enabled earplugs when I mow the lawn, when I exercise, and as my telephone headset attached to my Black Berry for hundreds of conference calls.

So, my original $450 investment was worth every single penny.

This past weekend I auditioned nearly 20 different IEMs at a friend's house (he is a collector and avid exercise freak). Some were nice, some were okay, some were pretty good - but none compared to the natural, smooth, realistic sound of Shure SE530 (the consumer version of the E5c). So, that's what I ordered.

I am expecting them in a few days and will break them in on my 18 hour flight to Hong Kong.

I am very, very excited to be getting something I basically already had.

At the same time I ordered a set of AKG K271 MkII closed back headphones to use as quick monitors in the recording studio.

A: Have you ever been able to audition the Ultimate Ears 11 Pro? They not cheap (even as far as customs go) but they're supposed to be awfully damn good.

B: You bought new closed-back cans that aren't D7000s??? Have you not learned? Have you not seen the light? Flint, Flint, Flint, what am I gonna do with you?

Zing said:
A: Have you ever been able to audition the Ultimate Ears 11 Pro? They not cheap (even as far as customs go) but they're supposed to be awfully damn good.

B: You bought new closed-back cans that aren't D7000s??? Have you not learned? Have you not seen the light? Flint, Flint, Flint, what am I gonna do with you?
Yeah man WTF?!?!? you should have ordered those already given the authoritative and exuberant reviews by the 4 of us...

Batman said:
Zing said:

Yeah man WTF?!?!? you should have ordered those already given the authoritative and exuberant reviews by the 4 of us...

A - Yes, I did audition the Ultimate Ears 11 pro - not a perfect ear fit though since they were not sized for me. They sounded very good, but I didn't feel they were worth the price.

B - Why on Earth would I buy a set of cans which sound so bad as to make one's ears bleed before getting the uncontrollable urge to climb the tower with a sniper's rifle?

Back