• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Retire? Geddy & Alex ain't ever stopping!!!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
A Houston DJ claims he knows that Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee are going to make new music together without whats-his-name, that sloppy boring drummer they used to drag arounbd with them in Rush.

The new project will record new music and likely tour and play old Rush songs at shows.

That unimaginative guy who fakes it as a drummer is suffering tendinitis and other issues related to his playing improperly for 50 years.

I would have to think after what the guy did for 50 years, even if he had perfect form and technique he would still be a little beat up and banged up.

Interesting though to think that Geddy and Alex would play Rush songs without him.

I am obviously poking fun at one of the greatest and immensely influential rock / progressive rock drummers of our era. Many self-taught drummers ultimately suffer joint and muscle issues related to pushing the limits of poor technique. I noticed Mr. Peart had changed his grip when Rush resurfaced a decade ago as a way to extend the years he could keep playing, but it wasn't enough as most of the damage was done. Drum instructors all over the world use him, Phil Collins, and others as evidence that good technique is important. If you look at all the great jazz drummers who kept playing right up to their deaths with the only physical complaints being typical age related stuff.

Now, as for this new band, which is reportedly being called LeeLifeson, is expected to have new music out not too long from now. It will be interesting how they write when the power and capability to carry a full third of the band via drums is gone. Or, maybe they'll hire one of those amazing drummers out there today who learned from prog geniuses like Peart.

I am obviously poking fun at one of the greatest and immensely influential rock / progressive rock drummers of our era. Many self-taught drummers ultimately suffer joint and muscle issues related to pushing the limits of poor technique. I noticed Mr. Peart had changed his grip when Rush resurfaced a decade ago as a way to extend the years he could keep playing, but it wasn't enough as most of the damage was done. Drum instructors all over the world use him, Phil Collins, and others as evidence that good technique is important. If you look at all the great jazz drummers who kept playing right up to their deaths with the only physical complaints being typical age related stuff.

Now, as for this new band, which is reportedly being called LeeLifeson, is expected to have new music out not too long from now. It will be interesting how they write when the power and capability to carry a full third of the band via drums is gone. Or, maybe they'll hire one of those amazing drummers out there today who learned from prog geniuses like Peart.

I know nothing about drumming so I have to ask, is rock/prog drumming different/more stressful than jazz drumming? Or is poor technique poor technique no matter what genre you play? I ask cuz I always remember watching Max Weinberg with Springsteen and thinking "My God , he really seems to hate his drum kit?"

While it is by no means universal, jazz drummers tend to be highly educated musicians having trained with academics, been mentored by more mature drummers, and practice with the best exercises on a daily basis. Generally (and there are plenty of exceptions) rock drummers are self taught and make many mistakes before getting some formal help which they cannot play around.

Interesting as in the past Geddy has made it clear, that he wouldn't want to remain in the band if Alex or Neil couldn't. Besides, I thought they were still going to record and/or do some small shows, just retiring from all the heavy touring.

Another thing to consider is that not only was Neil their drummer, but he also did all the writing (except for maybe "Losing It" from Signals and "Different Strings" from Permanent Waves). The individual solo albums Alex and Geddy did weren't all that great, imo.

But I am curious what those two will put together if the DJ's claims are true.

Back