• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Revel Performa3 C208

This will be it for me for a while in terms of upgrading and improving things. Some things I note so far with the center channel.

1. This thing is a monster but I kind of knew that. But until you truly unbox the speaker and put it up, you really don't fathom it. (Yes, I'm sure that's what the ladies say about you...). I was worried based on measurements that the speaker was going to slightly eat about an inch in to the screen. However it perfectly fit under, I can even see the Sony logo at the bottom of the TV still. The smaller brother C205 would be more of a traditional sized center but I knew I had the room for the bigger center. Based on discussions I determined to go with the C208 and then in the future just maybe go with the Concerta2 bookshelves as surrounds.

Also the thing weighs in at 51 lbs. The good news after trying with some force to push it, it isn't moving for an accidental push from a small child or even older ones. And there's nothing to grab onto to pull toward you.

2. Visual and construction. Just like the F206s, the walnut finish is gorgeous IMO. Does it help performance. No. But there is a nice visual intangible with WAF and just the overall look of the room. Besides the other option, piano black, would be a nightmare or wiping down with random kids fingers and probably too much darks in the room. To the credit of my children, including my 11month old, they don't touch the speakers but the baby sure is fascinated with the buttons on the receiver and Oppo Bluray.

Also, they have four holes at the bottom for their long and short rubber feet (never read about this feature) This allows for the center to be tilted upward or downward contingent on listening position. I was worried these 4 small feet (no more the diameter of a pen) would make it easier to slide around. But this thing with a grippy rubber and the weight is not moving. I kept the feet with no angle for now and it sounds perfect.

3. Sound. I liked my Paradigms but I'm at anothet level, actually several levels. After throwing on some various movies using a full 7.1 setup, I was smiling . My wife even rushed in from another room saying she was blown away by the detail.... Ha ha, just kidding. no she wasn't even home.

But using the center in comparison with the left and right only, some more depth and detail. Yes, sitting at the sweet spot was fine but the center really drew out more subtle dialogue and nuance things. The left to center to right back and forth is blended very well. It sounds wonderful. I am running all three fronts at large with 80hz crossovers with the sub engaged. For louder material like the beginning airplane scene in The Dark Knight Rises, I could hear the creaks and metal sounds of the larger and smaller planes more than I ever have before.

Overall I am super happy.

This post is over a year old, but thought I'd check anyway. I'm tossing between the C208 and Paradigm Prestige 55C. I've heard neither. The Paradigm has a greater WAF due to its sleeker, more compact lines. Whichever one I end up getting will be top-mounted on a large console, firing down to listening positions about 14' away. My mains are DefTech ST-L towers; center is a DefTech CS-8080, which, like the mains, has a built-in in sub. I intend to upgrade ONLY the center (WAF issue re upgrading the mains; she loves the sleek and unobtrusive aluminum towers). Which model Paradigms were you comparing your C208 to when you said the Revel sounds "several levels" better?

Mine is a large, open living space, ~ 22' x 20' open plan, with a 20' vaulted ceiling. No room treatment per se, save a large area rug on wood floor, so boom/echo is also a concern, especially with two high opposing walls. I'll be using the new center speaker with my 75" Sony screen and Anthem MRX710 5.1 processor (120Wx2, 90Wx5). Would 90W be adequate power to drive the 89dB C208? In your view, would the Revel blend reasonably well (at least acceptably) with the DefTechs? I listen at moderate levels; no higher, I'd say, than around 75dB. The system will be sharing duties, equally, between 3-channel Dolby audio and 5-channel video, so the C-channel choice I'm faced with is key. I'm having a tough time deciding; its gotta be the 'right' and final choice, as I'm not up to wrestling with these 50-lb monsters (they're both 50 lbs) having recently undergone hernia surgery. Thanks, mate!

Last edited:
This post is over a year old, but thought I'd check anyway. I'm tossing between the C208 and Paradigm Prestige 55C. I've heard neither. The Paradigm has a greater WAF due to its sleeker, more compact lines. Whichever one I end up getting will be top-mounted on a large console, firing down to listening positions about 14' away. My mains are DefTech ST-L towers; center is a DefTech CS-8080, which, like the mains, has a built-in in sub. I intend to upgrade ONLY the center (WAF issue re upgrading the mains; she loves the sleek and unobtrusive aluminum towers). Which model Paradigms were you comparing your C208 to when you said the Revel sounds "several levels" better?

Mine is a large, open living space, ~ 22' x 20' open plan, with a 20' vaulted ceiling. No room treatment per se, save a large area rug on wood floor, so boom/echo is also a concern, especially with two high opposing walls. I'll be using the new center speaker with my 75" Sony screen and Anthem MRX710 5.1 processor (120Wx2, 90Wx5). Would 90W be adequate power to drive the 89dB C208? In your view, would the Revel blend reasonably well (at least acceptably) with the DefTechs? I listen at moderate levels; no higher, I'd say, than around 75dB. The system will be sharing duties, equally, between 3-channel Dolby audio and 5-channel video, so the C-channel choice I'm faced with is key. I'm having a tough time deciding; its gotta be the 'right' and final choice, as I'm not up to wrestling with these 50-lb monsters (they're both 50 lbs) having recently undergone hernia surgery. Thanks, mate!
Perhaps i am confused. Why did you want to swap out the Deftech center? It looks similar to the Paradigm being black and sleek. If your wife likes the Deftech towers I don't see a need to swap the center. You are guaranteed the center is timbre matched to your mains.

Perhaps i am confused. Why did you want to swap out the Deftech center? It looks similar to the Paradigm being black and sleek. If your wife likes the Deftech towers I don't see a need to swap the center. You are guaranteed the center is timbre matched to your mains.

I agree - it is virtually impossible to timber match two different brands of speakers.

90 watts is plenty of power for most speakers in most rooms. Doing the math on your setup (14 feet away, near the front wall, 89dB SPL) will get you a maximum loudness at the listening position of about 100dB SPL. That's pretty insanely loud. Most people listen in the 70dB to 80dB SPL range, which in this case would require a mere 0.12 to 1.15 Watts. 90dB SPL only needs about 11.5 watts. So, 90 Watts of good clean high current undistorted power is plenty.

Back