• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Review of the new Dynaudio Focus 340s

Batman

Staff member
Famous
:text-link:

Enjoy and discuss, I just got the link in an email from Mick and haven't even read it yet, hopefully the it's a positive review...

Pretty glowing, in fact. So what is the price on these things?

damn! that's a lot of coin!

Hell of a review though! Does the guy own a pair or what?

Batman said:

Ok well let me know when you have a pair to demo, I'll come up and give my professional opinion. :laughing:

Not that the dyns would earn a less than stellar rating, but 6Moons has never issued a poor review on anything.

Rope

Couple of things that caught my eye on this. First, Dyn is using a different crossover. This speaker has new drivers in it, so it makes some sense, but I wonder if they are going to go this route with all other speaker line upgrades.
Secondly, that review is why I don't read reviews. What a load of crap.

I am under the impression that box speakers have come as far as they could regarding sound quality about 20 years ago. All "upgrades" will be cosmetic, mainly, and trying to integrate a good sound by making the speakers as small or narrow as possible. I realize Dyn needs to make new speakers and claim them to be "superior" to remain in business, but I don't buy the hype.

If I ever decide to try new speakers, I really think I would go one of two ways. Both would be active crossovers, but either dipole (think Linkwitz Orion) or Horns (think Klipschorns). My current speakers are the last box speakers I'll own.

And I still think the current Contour / confidence line are "sexier" than the new focus line.

jamhead said:
I am under the impression that box speakers have come as far as they could regarding sound quality about 20 years ago. All "upgrades" will be cosmetic, mainly, and trying to integrate a good sound by making the speakers as small or narrow as possible. I realize Dyn needs to make new speakers and claim them to be "superior" to remain in business, but I don't buy the hype.

I generally agree, but as new materials are developed & become available for the speaker cones there might be some validity to the claim of minor improvements in sound quality. Whether or not you can hear the difference is another matter.

In the very high end the linearity of transducers at real listening has vastly improved over the past 20 years. THD and Noise are lower, rub and buzz is reduced, and consistency in performance over a wide range of input voltages has also greatly improved.

Basically, the cone and dome drivers used in modern speakers can over significantly higher audible performance than any similar driver you could buy 20 years ago. That doesn't mean all new box speakers are better than old ones. But it does mean that the potential is there for modern box speakers to be superior in every way.

Flint said:
In the very high end the linearity of transducers at real listening has vastly improved over the past 20 years. THD and Noise are lower, rub and buzz is reduced, and consistency in performance over a wide range of input voltages has also greatly improved.

Basically, the cone and dome drivers used in modern speakers can over significantly higher audible performance than any similar driver you could buy 20 years ago. That doesn't mean all new box speakers are better than old ones. But it does mean that the potential is there for modern box speakers to be superior in every way.

Frankly Flint (geez I've been waiting a long time to use that opening! :) ) I'd be shocked if that were not the case.

I can't think of any technology-dependant market sector (auto, aerospace, computers, etc. ) where one would not expect today's products to outperform yesterday's. The timeframe may be different for different products / markets (ie. the rate of change) but there should still be improvement over most any period. (Of course, and as we frequently see, companies may still choose to bring inferior products to market, since "technically better" is but one of perhaps many considerations.)

In other words, I agree with you completely.

Jeff

I guess it depends on what we mean as superior. I feel differences made in box speakers are fairly small at this point and bigger gains can be had by evaluating other designs.

jamhead said:
I guess it depends on what we mean as superior. I feel differences made in box speakers are fairly small at this point and bigger gains can be had by evaluating other designs.

Or used/previous designs. I haven't read the review yet, but if I'm going to spend $7500 on some Dyns, I think I'll go up a line and get the lowest priced Confidence speakers over the Focus towers.

Yesfan70 said:
jamhead said:

Or used/previous designs. I haven't read the review yet, but if I'm going to spend $7500 on some Dyns, I think I'll go up a line and get the lowest priced Confidence speakers over the Focus towers.

Ongoing debate there... very room dependent when it comes to some towers vs bookshelves.

Razz said:
Yesfan70 said:
jamhead said:

Ongoing debate there... very room dependent when it comes to some towers vs bookshelves.

True, but I'm assuming that if one is going to spend $7500 on a pair of speakers, he's not going to set them up in a rickety ass shed either.

Back