• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rock Band vs Guitar Hero

FredtheFilmFan

I have Guitar Hero World Tour (I think that's what it's called) from a buddy of mine, so I just have the guitar. I think that I'm going to buy a Rock Band or Guitar Hero with the whole instrument kit. Don't know which one. Any ideas? I've read that the instruments are compatible from one game to the next, but which has better instruments packaged with it and which is the better game?

IMHO the games are comparable, GH has a little more character customization ability if you care about that (it's totally irrelevant to the music playing part). The main difference is in the drums - the RB drums have 4 colors, and GH has 5. You can use RB drums with GH, but you have to apply a patch that forces it to drop one of the "notes". I have a 3rd party drum set that is made for RB, so it has the same issue, and so I really only play the drums with RB.

I don't know much about the "stock" drums... but they would have the same issue w.r.t. # colors.

As for the guitars, I much prefer the RB2 guitar over the GHWT (I actually have both). But that's kind of a personal thing. The guitars, though, can be swapped back and forth between both games without losing anything, AFAIK.

I have not tried GH5.

I know that on the PS3 the Guitar Hero instruments work with Rock Band games, but I'm told Rock Band instruments don't work with GH. I prefer GH. I have The Beatles Rock Band and Lego Rock Band for the kids. It's small differences in which you'll find your preferences but they are basically the same.

GH Metallica is by far the most challenging of all the games available.

-B- said:
I'm told Rock Band instruments don't work with GH.

The guitar works perfectly fine - I played through all of GH5 and RB2 with the RB2 guitar. It's just the drums that are an issue, because of the # colors thing I mentioned. It will function, but you'll lose a note in GH.

I think there may have been incompatibilities between the first RockBand1 and the first Guitar Hero controllers, if I recall correctly??? And maybe vice-versa?

But some of the later games were designed work with each other, more or less. For instance, I have the GHWT complete band set, but I also bought the RockBand2 disc-only separately---FOR PS3. In my experience, RockBand2 had no problem adjusting to my GHWT controllers. Granted it's not quite the same as using true RB gear. For instance the GHWT drumkit when used to play RB2 only uses the 3 pads, the bass pedal, and just 1 of the cymbals. So the second cymbal just sits there doing nothing. It's a little awkward, but usable with practice.

Here's a compatibility chart that let's you select various RB and GH games to check on compatibility with various RB and GH controllers. http://www.rockband.com/compatibility

Bought GH Wariors of Rock for PS3. I checked out the compatibility matrix and all looks good, unless you buy the first games on either side. There are some after-market instruments that aren't compatible both ways, too. Only one more sleep for Santa!!

Back