• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku 2 and 3 updates

I remain uncomfortable with the concept of "owning" vapour and being at the mercy of a company's survival (in an industry that eats up companies in relatively short order) in order to use it.

JeffMackwood said:
I remain uncomfortable with the concept of "owning" vapour and being at the mercy of a company's survival (in an industry that eats up companies in relatively short order) in order to use it.

That is why I went with UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere licensing. These movies are licensed directly by the studio and my movie library is not tied to any one service. My Disney collection is available through Vudu, Amazon, Google Play, iTunes or Microsoft. My UltraViolet collection is available through Vudu, Sony Ultra, CinemaNow, FandangoNow (formerly MGo) and Flixster. If a service fails (Redbox), gets bought out (MGo) or merges with another company (Flixster), my library is not lost.

The second thing to consider is that my average cost of acquisition for a movie is roughly the same as renting a movie through Amazon, Vudu, iTunes or cable PPV. The only way I can lose here is by collecting movies that I end up not watching and then the entire studio-backed system fails with the studios giving millions of customers a big, "Fuck You!" Any new release that I buy is the same money I would have had to spend on a rental, so there is not downside.

JeffMackwood said:
Agree. "High-Tech Haywood" went with the UV solution, I'm still going with the "simpleton" solution of buying media on hardware, I guess. :shifty:

I did not add all 2,000 movies. My nephew has added about 800 movies and I frequent public libraries about every other month and easily add 40-50 movies in two hours while at the library without even having to check out a movie. I grab ten or so titles take them to a table with my laptop add the movies and replace the movies and grab ten more. For the cost three Blurays I have 50 HDX titles.

I add movies more for my family then myself as my family loves movies and they like a wide variety of movies so I have something for everybody.

Haywood is correct for the cost of a rental I can now own an HDX new release title that my whole family can watch anytime.

Back