• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku 2 XS arriving Saturday

Haywood

Famous
I've been wanting a Roku for awhile and just won $208 in the office weight loss pool, so I ordered a Roku 2 XS from Amazon last night. I mainly wanted it for the wide selection of streaming sources it offers that I cannot get on my PS3, such as HBO GO, but it also has an excellent client for the Plex Media Server. I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend. Anyone here use a Roku?

Congrats on getting the Roku, you won't be disappointed.

But more importantly a Big Congratulations on losing the weight to win the office pool. :text-bravo:

Haywood said:
I've been wanting a Roku for awhile and just won $208 in the office weight loss pool, so I ordered a Roku 2 XS from Amazon last night. I mainly wanted it for the wide selection of streaming sources it offers that I cannot get on my PS3, such as HBO GO, but it also has an excellent client for the Plex Media Server. I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend. Anyone here use a Roku?

Your office has a pool ? Must be nice to be able to play in the pool while at work..... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

I don't know anything about Plex. I have a couple of Rokus but have been favoring the Apple TV of late bacause of it's AirPlay ability. I highly suggest the Roku; lots of content (paid and free), supuer easy to setup and use, very good UI... If only it could be an AirPlay target.

I don't use AirPlay. I've got a couple of Squeezebox devices and also run Plex Media Server, so I will also be able to access my music on the Roku (although I may need to transcode it to a different format, as damned near nothing plays nice with WMAL).

This was a nice little reward for losing 70 pounds. I also got a SunCana coffee pod brewer, which I'll review in another thread once I've had time to use it.

Congrats on the 70 lb weight loss!!! That is awesome........

Roku - good luck with your new toy!

Congratulations on the new Roku and the 70lb weight loss Scott! I have been looking at the XS, and it looks like a nice streaming unit!

Scott -
Have you noticed a difference in glucose control, or diabetes management in general?

Rope

Haywood said:
I... just won $208 in the office weight loss pool, so I ordered a Roku 2 XS from Amazon last night.
I won the pool just once, & bought pizza for the office. :angelic-green:

Congrats on that fantastic weight loss! :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

I watched the Xmas sales, and all the discount websites, during last year's Xmas season and finally got a Roku. Easy to hook up, worked great, and I played with it and the channels for an afternoon; set up a Pandora account with all my favorite bands.

Haven't used it much since. :|

I set the Pandora to play bands "similar" to my play list, but it pretty much plays just the bands that I entered, music I'm already familiar with. Worse, the volume levels are all over the map, not good even for background music. I don't have a netflix account and am just not much of a movie watcher, and the concert video selection is pretty poor (the free stuff, anyway). I don't regret buying it, but it doesn't see much use.

Rope said:
Scott -
Have you noticed a difference in glucose control, or diabetes management in general?

Rope

Right now, my diabetes management is a mess because I'm going through a diet change. I'm seeing my endo on Monday to get my pump sorted out. I expect that getting everything completely tweaked will take a month or so, but being thinner and more fit should make my sugar more stable.

Congrats on losing a 5th grader worth of weight!! That's awesome.

Will the ROKU play FLAC?

John

Haywood said:
Rope said:
Scott -

Rope

Right now, my diabetes management is a mess because I'm going through a diet change. I'm seeing my endo on Monday to get my pump sorted out. I expect that getting everything completely tweaked will take a month or so, but being thinner and more fit should make my sugar more stable.

Do you FEEL better, though??

Congrats! It's a terrific accomplishment and great that you have been rewarded for the work!!

Haywood said:
There are several clients available on the Roku for local streaming.
Could you please identify them? You have alluded to these services several times but I don't recall you naming them. I would like to give them a try.

mzpro5 said:
Haywood said:
There are several clients available on the Roku for local streaming.
Could you please identify them? You have alluded to these services several times but I don't recall you naming them. I would like to give them a try.

I use the Plex app. There is a squeezebox channel I think it was called Mainsqueeze. I tried it for a while but thought it was kind of slow.

I am using the Plex client with Plex Media Server running on my computer. There is also a Subsonic client for the Subsonic music server. The MainSqueeze client works with the Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox), but only if your music is non-lossless WMA or MP3 and the interface kinda sucks. There is also a generic Roku DLNA client that you can download, if memory serves.

Haywood said:
I am using the Plex client with Plex Media Server running on my computer. There is also a Subsonic client for the Subsonic music server. The MainSqueeze client works with the Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox), but only if your music is non-lossless WMA or MP3 and the interface kinda sucks. There is also a generic Roku DLNA client that you can download, if memory serves.
Thanks Haywood.

Are you able to stream FLAC to the ROKU w/ Plex? Do you happen to have any more info about the DLNA channel?

I would love to be able to have a ROKU stream FLAC files from my NAS w/o the PC being in the loop. I know the ROKU isn't intended to be a local streaming device, but it sure would be tempting to use one if it would do that.

John

Back