• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku question about movie rental billing

Kazaam

I don't have a Roku, but if I understand correctly, it appears that you can keep a credit card on file with your Roku account. But let's say I already have accounts with Vudu, Amazon, and Google Play. And let's say I already have credit cards on file with those individual accounts.

My question then is:

On a Roku, can I still just log into my Vudu/Google/Amazon account and have my current existing credit card on file with Vudu/Google/Amazon be charged? Or does Roku force all billing to go through Roku?

When you are using a Roku and you load the Amazon Prime app, everything you do within that app is as if you are on Amazon Prime and Roku doesn't know or care anything about it. So, if I rent a movie from Amazon, they charge it to my Amazon account, not Roku.

That is true for all the media accounts you have, like Hulu+, Google, etc.

I didn't even know Roku had a content service because I never use anything other than Amazon Prime, Hulu+, and Netflix.

Kazaam said:
I don't have a Roku, but if I understand correctly, it appears that you can keep a credit card on file with your Roku account. But let's say I already have accounts with Vudu, Amazon, and Google Play. And let's say I already have credit cards on file with those individual accounts.

My question then is:

On a Roku, can I still just log into my Vudu/Google/Amazon account and have my current existing credit card on file with Vudu/Google/Amazon be charged? Or does Roku force all billing to go through Roku?

Roku has MGo embedded into the interface (you can turn it off), but even that uses whatever payment method you set up with MGo. The only thing the payment method you set up with Roku can pay for is Apps (mostly games) and Themes that require payment.

Oh, sure... I hear what you're sayin'. Between the two of you I think I've got it now. Thanks.

Think I'll give Roku a test drive. My brother has a Roku stick sitting unused at the moment that I will reset and start an account on. (Apparently, he gets all the streaming apps he needs from his TiVo or whatever.). I know the stick isn't the speediest of things, but if I like it I can always buy a Roku 2 for a little boost.

From everything I hear, the Roku 3 is solid. I have a Roku 4 & so far the only issue is SlingTV ( for me but others are having issues of lip sync, etc) But I have read owners say SlingTV is fine on the Roku 3.

From what I have read, the Roku 4 mainly has lip sync issues when run through an AVR. I've also read complaints about red push.

Back