• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku with Harmony One

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Tried to update my Harmony One with (a) my added turntable, and (b) my new Roku XD. First, there was no "Phono/phonograph" option under the Harmony's "Add Device" menu, so I selected "Listen to Music"; the next screen asked if I use my cable box remote, or my TV remote, to change channels (I don't use either, that's why I have the Harmony, and besides that's not a legit question for a phonograph anyway).
So, I hit "Cancel" and went back to the first page to add the Roku. Well, the Harmony software insists that I finish my "Listen to Music" device first, couldn't see a way to cancel everything so I just sent an email to Logitech for guidance.

Meanwhile, I futzed around on the Logitech website and found the "Is the Harmony compatible with your device" link; I clonked it to see if the Roku XD is supported, but I'll be darned if I can find it listed anywhere; its not under "cable box" nor under "computer". If Logitech doesn't support the Roku I'm sure they'll let me know in my email reply, but I really find that hard to believe... :shock:

While I was at it I also updated my Oppo BDP-83 firmware. A caution: the latest firmware unzips into a folder called "ADP 2", which needs to be in the root directory of the USB drive. I also noticed the last update on the USB, "ADP", so I deleted it first before plugging into my Oppo. Well, the Oppo didn't automatically update the firmware like it normally does, so I tried the manual method, still no dice. On a hunch, I plugged the thumbdrive back into my computer and changed the name of the file from "ADP 2" to "ADP". Voila, now it worked just fine! I don't know if that's a mistake on Oppo's part, or if my Mac automatically added the "2" because an "ADP" already existed (I doubt that, it usually asks me first, but since this went into the "Downloads" folder maybe different processes apply). With the update my Oppo still clips the first tom hit on Steely Dan's Gaucho DVD-A, but now that I own it on SACD (which plays perfectly) I'm gonna box up the DVD-A and send it to the fine folks at Oppo, just for shits & giggles.

Incidently, I got the Roku about a week ago (along with an HDMI cable from Blue Jean Cable, per you guys' recommendations) and also ordered a 2GB mini-SD card for $6 (what a streaming device needs a memory card for, I haven't a clue); I bought it because it was cheap and would be a lot easier to install before I installed the Roku, and of course it took an additional week to arrive. :x
I've never worked with a mini-SD card before; dayam the thing's smaller than my thumbnail! I'm really glad I bought and pre-installed it first, had I dropped it behind my rack (and I guarantee I would've) I'd have not found it again. When I think how big the memory device for my first Atari computer was, and how little it held compared to 2GB on this little thing, it just boggles my brain...

Botch said:
Tried to update my Harmony One with (a) my added turntable, and (b) my new Roku XD. First, there was no "Phono/phonograph" option under the Harmony's "Add Device" menu, so I selected "Listen to Music"; the next screen asked if I use my cable box remote, or my TV remote, to change channels (I don't use either, that's why I have the Harmony, and besides that's not a legit question for a phonograph anyway).
So, I hit "Cancel" and went back to the first page to add the Roku. Well, the Harmony software insists that I finish my "Listen to Music" device first, couldn't see a way to cancel everything so I just sent an email to Logitech for guidance.

Meanwhile, I futzed around on the Logitech website and found the "Is the Harmony compatible with your device" link; I clonked it to see if the Roku XD is supported, but I'll be darned if I can find it listed anywhere; its not under "cable box" nor under "computer". If Logitech doesn't support the Roku I'm sure they'll let me know in my email reply, but I really find that hard to believe... :shock:

While I was at it I also updated my Oppo BDP-83 firmware. A caution: the latest firmware unzips into a folder called "ADP 2", which needs to be in the root directory of the USB drive. I also noticed the last update on the USB, "ADP", so I deleted it first before plugging into my Oppo. Well, the Oppo didn't automatically update the firmware like it normally does, so I tried the manual method, still no dice. On a hunch, I plugged the thumbdrive back into my computer and changed the name of the file from "ADP 2" to "ADP". Voila, now it worked just fine! I don't know if that's a mistake on Oppo's part, or if my Mac automatically added the "2" because an "ADP" already existed (I doubt that, it usually asks me first, but since this went into the "Downloads" folder maybe different processes apply). With the update my Oppo still clips the first tom hit on Steely Dan's Gaucho DVD-A, but now that I own it on SACD (which plays perfectly) I'm gonna box up the DVD-A and send it to the fine folks at Oppo, just for shits & giggles.

Finish adding the phono, then delete it.

ROKU is easy to add. Choose any selection that's video, change the name to ROKU, and you're on your way.

The easiest way to upgrade the Oppo firmware is through your network. Go into your Oppo setup, turn on automatic update, select network. Anytime there's an update available, the Oppo will automatically install the update.

Rope

Thanks Rope! I have to leave soon for Tooele (got Reserves this weekend) but I'll give that a try Sunday when I get back.

The -83 doesn't have WiFi, so I'd have to run an ethernet cable downstairs to have automatic updates, and there's no easy way to do that, the Thumb Drive is the easiest option for me.

And here's another question: since the Roku is connected to the Intranetz, how come it doesn't have a standard browser, either built-in or an app that you can purchase? Would be cool to see -B-'s avatar on my 47" TV!

There is an android ROKU app, so there certainly has to be an "i" app.

You can purchase an inexpensive wireless bridge for the Oppo, and if the signal is strong enough, and it should be, then you don't have to fart around with thumb drives.

Rope

There is an iApp and I have been using my Harmony One with my Roku for at least a year. Also set up Mom's Harmony with her new Roku.

No browser for the Roku. Also I think the SD card is for storing games.

So, is the Roku a good device to stream music from internet (like Pandora)? If so, would I need a paying Pandora account vs. the freebie? Also, if streaming music, do I need to have my TV on to select channels through the Roku, or could I set up the channels on the Harmony Remote "media" section?

Looking at some alternatives for background music in the family room and the current Time Warner music channels do, in fact, suck. Squeezebox is crazy expensive for streaming music, in my opinion.

Sorry for the hi-jack Botch.

jamhead said:
So, is the Roku a good device to stream music from internet (like Pandora)? If so, would I need a paying Pandora account vs. the freebie? Also, if streaming music, do I need to have my TV on to select channels through the Roku, or could I set up the channels on the Harmony Remote "media" section?

Looking at some alternatives for background music in the family room and the current Time Warner music channels do, in fact, suck. Squeezebox is crazy expensive for streaming music, in my opinion.

Music streaming is ok (not as good as my SB). Radio Paradise has a channel.

You do need your TV on as channel selection is done via "point and click" with on-screen icons.

I think you can use your free Pandora account but honestly have never tried Pandora.

In a quick comparison the streaming is better on the Roku tha the new BDP93. And Roku has much more in channels.

Thanks MZ. Can you give me your opinion as to why the sqeezebox is 250 bucks? Is there anything it does that I'm missing?
Looks like the Roku is out for me then for music....I don't want to turn the TV on.

^ Because it was the first to market to do what it does, do it well, and still does. There are a shitload of small hockey puck sized boxes that will do what the SB does for substantially less....~$99

Batman- Do you know or can you recommend any of the shitload small boxes that might be worthwhile?

jamhead said:
Batman- Do you know or can you recommend any of the shitload small boxes that might be worthwhile?
MZ posted about the Appletv and it's at the top of my list, but it (unless you have a ipod touch 2nd gen or later, iphone or ipad) along with most of the others are gonna require a tv or monitor. I did a search at Best Buy and came across several in the 80-160 range some require a tv others have a display. Most though do not have a display. I'd also check amazon...Why wouldn't you want to use your tv to navigate your library? If that is truly a dealbreaker, then maybe one of the SB offerings are right for you.

Thanks guys. The main reason I don't want to have the TV on is that it's an older RPTV, and I'd rather not have it on to select a channel then turn off......and, to be honest, I just prefer not having the TV on much at all (except when watching a movie...of course).

Jam -

If you sit close (8' or less) to the Squeezebox Touch, and not that you have to actually touch it, but for viewing purposes, highly recommended.

1010squeeze.1.jpg

201008_logitech_rear_wide.jpg

Rope

One last thought, if you're using a smart phone or tablet, download the SB app, then the viewing distance is mute!

Rope

jamhead said:
Not at all, you asked another question I was wondering about.

I went with the Roku over the Apple TV as it looked like the Apple TV was superior for streaming music and movies off your computer, and my computer doesn't have anything on it; streaming directly off the 'net seemed to be the Roku's forte...

OK. So here's another question. If I buy a Roku, do I then need to pay for each "channel's" service. Like, do I then pay the monthly charge for Netflix, and for Hulu plus, and for Amazon VOD?

jamhead said:
OK. So here's another question. If I buy a Roku, do I then need to pay for each "channel's" service. Like, do I then pay the monthly charge for Netflix, and for Hulu plus, and for Amazon VOD?

You would need to pay the $7.99/month for NF. with amazon you can watch new release and are charged per movie, usually $4.99 for HD for 24-48 hours. You can get free content if you are an Amazon Prime member, 80% of free content is a duplicate of what NF offers.

for Hulu you do need to pay also.

There are a number of good pretty decent free channels like Crackle (free movies). Best thing would be to check the Roku site and see their offerings.

You pay no type of fee for the Roku itself.

Back