• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Room acoustics, too esoteric for audiophiles

malsackj said:
When using the lamp to model the speaker is the speaker output 360 degree like the lamp?

would a directional lamp with a 30 degree spot pointed at the seat give a better perspective?

Would this be a better pespective of a horn and higher frequencies, including toe in?

The reflection point is the reflection point regardless of the directionality of the speaker. If a speaker has an extremely well controlled dispersion pattern and doesn't project sound at the reflection point, then there is no reason to treat that point for early reflection, but the location where a reflection would bounce back at your ear is still the same.

As such, there is no reason at all to change the lightbulb method as it is just because the speaker might be directional. Instead, if the speaker is directional, then you have to re-evaluate the need for early reflection treatments and where they need to go.

If you question the directionality of your speakers, you could use TrueRTA's quicksweep or a similar somewhat fast response measurement tool (which minimized the overall room response) and place the mic at the left & right wall and see how much output is reaching the reflection point and compare it to the direct sound. If the measured output at the reflection point is within about 6dB of the direct output at the listening position in the critical 500Hz to 8kHz range, then treatments would be warranted at that location.

Back