• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Room within a Room

TitaniumTroy

For people who have basement home theatre systems, will the room within a room concept take care of all their bass problem's?. With a given being that the room was built right, in addition to adding bass traps like a regular room when it is finished.

TitaniumTroy said:
...will the room within a room concept take care of all their bass problem's?.
First, I don't think that concept is exclusive to basements. Second, to adress your question, I think it's largely, no, hugely dependent on the dimensions. Assuming all else is absolutely perfect, if the dimensions are 8Hx16Wx24L for example, you're going to have serious issues.

A "room within a room" does give you the option of building without any parallel walls or right angles, which could definitely help, I would think...

It does indeed. But my point was that you have to make that effort. Just simply a room within a room - in and of itself - won't alleviate any and all acoustic issues.

Zing. your talking about having a room with diminsions that are multiples of itself. Agreed on that, How did the room in Bat's basement sound, bass wise? He did the room within a room thing right?

A room within a room is most effective at (and most often used for) sound isolation. If you build a well sealed and soundproofed room inside a larger room, you can get an amazing amount of sound and vibration isolation from the outside world, and vice versa. Depending on the shape, dimensions, and construction materials, you can make the room better suited acoustically for audio reproduction. You can built bass traps and absorbers into the walls. You could design the shape so there are few corners. There are many things you can do.

The main drawback (aside from cost) is the size. You really need a large outer room to house the inner room if you want to get the best acoustics for audio reproduction. Things like tall ceilings and longer wall dimensions are really good.

TitaniumTroy said:
How did the room in Bat's basement sound, bass wise?
One hell of a lot better once he put the Ultra13 to work.

TitaniumTroy said:
He did the room within a room thing right?
I don't think so. True, he made a couple rooms out of his basement space but I wouldn't call any of them a "room within a room".

He put some sound isolation materials in the walls and (I'm pretty sure) the ceiling, but it's not a room-within-a-room.

Yeah it's not a room in a room like you're thinking. I executed multiple layers of materials throughout, and with the two surfaces that separate the room from the rest of the house, the ceiling and the right side partition wall, I used various combinations of sound isolation clips, mass loaded vinyl, green glue, and drywall layered on top of OSB plywood...If I had another 1.5' in each direction I could have constructed a true room w/i a room but ultimately the space would just not allow for it (for the dimensions I wanted to achieve). The treatments are effective against all but the deepest loudest bass and bass notes that literally shake the foundation... :D

My setup is also quite like a room within a room...

The ceiling nor any wall is in contact with the foundation. But I didn't really build it that way for acoustic reasons.

Attachments

• DSC01176.JPG
    DSC01176.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC01039.JPG
    DSC01039.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC01412.JPG
    DSC01412.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 356
Back