1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Running wire

Discussion in 'Configuration & Setup' started by bmwuk, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Towen7

Towen7 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Is one if the cavities behind the TV? If so a wall patch won’t be visible. I’m not sure how you’re powering the TV but you may kill two birds with one stone and run an outlet at the same time.

2. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member Famous

Yup, what he said!!!

3. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Yeah, out of my pay grade. I have a guy that can do this so perhaps I'll contact him.

4. Towen7

It's really not hard. I can help you if your guy can't.

bmwuk likes this.
  5. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Well the guys are here today. So glad I used them. The down wall behind the TV was a pain in the ass. Took them a while through several horizontal studs. Worth every penny now

Towen7 likes this.
  6. Towen7

How’d they do it?

Randy likes this.
  7. Randy

Yes, what he said.

8. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

The drilled through multiple studs all the way down. I think they guided it using magnets. Honestly I didn't bother to ask too many questions. I am currently stripping the wires and soon I want to identify the back 4 speakers correctly

9. Randy

I have done that with magnets before, connecting a magnet to a strong used to pull the wire.
    That would be a pain if you were pulling across several stud horizontally.

10. Towen7

I’m glad it’s all worked out. We use a tools called Magna-Pull and Magna-Spot.

11. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

The cost of magna pull, which peaked my interest, was the cost for them to do it. Plus I had them do something else on my house. That said, I bought the keystone double plate for 4 speakers from Parts Express and the low voltage double gang bracket. The darn plate with plugs doesn't fit exactly . Think I have to shave some plastic on either side of the bracket

12. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Well shit. Upon further inspection the far right and left holes for the banana plugs go too wide not allowing it to fit in properly. Super ticked Parts Express would sell this 8 hole plate that won't fit into a low voltage bracket. Bullshit

13. Towen7

I assume then it simply needs drywall anchors to hold it to the wall.

14. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Not if the the hole has been cut already and the bracket placed.

15. Towen7

Yikes
    But I’m sure you can find one that’ll work.

16. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

Okay, so I am working from home today so at lunch, I went to Home Depot to look at their options. I picked up an orange 2 gang low voltage bracket. It was wider than the one I had in wall. After using a hot knife to shave away the beveled interior corners, giving it 90 degrees on each corner, the plate with banana plugs fit. I had to cut a smidge more drywall for the bracket to fit. Below is the result of a flush plate

Excuse the marker on Scotch tape writing. I am borrowing a label maker later to make it look nicer. rps20180423_151632.jpg

17. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

No wires!!! Now to fix and adjust the hanging shelves along with put in some wall hangings

rps20180424_084239.jpg

heeman, Randy, PaulyT and 1 other person like this.
  18. Randy

^^^Lookin Good!^^^

bmwuk likes this.