• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

S&V Disk vs. Receiver Test Tones, why a difference?

nelmr

When calibrating using the Receiver, I end up being about 3-5 db lower in volume setting then when I use the S&V disk. The mains are 3dB lower, whereas the surrounds are 5dB lower.

The test tone seems higher pitched on the S&V disk compared to the Receiver's test tones. Any ideas for the discrepancy? I had the same issue with my previous receiver, which had test tones sounding like the new receiver. Which is more accurate to use? I don't even watch movies on my DVD player anymore, everything is now BD on my PS3.

My big concerns are:
1) Why do all speakers match SPL when using the receiver tones, whereas with the S&V disk the right front is -1dB lower and the rears 2dB lower compared to the other speakers.
2) I'm trying to calibrate for reference level. With the receiver (DENON 3310), I assume one should set for 0dB and the adjust the trims as it's a relative scale unlike my Yamaha. However, If I use the S&V disk, I need to use different trim settings to keep the 0dB reference mark. So this is in essence why I ask which is more accurate.

nelmr said:
When calibrating using the Receiver, I end up being about 3-5 db lower in volume setting then when I use the S&V disk. The mains are 3dB lower, whereas the surrounds are 5dB lower.

The test tone seems higher pitched on the S&V disk compared to the Receiver's test tones. Any ideas for the discrepancy? I had the same issue with my previous receiver, which had test tones sounding like the new receiver. Which is more accurate to use? I don't even watch movies on my DVD player anymore, everything is now BD on my PS3.My big concerns are:
1) Why do all speakers match SPL when using the receiver tones, whereas with the S&V disk the right front is -1dB lower and the rears 2dB lower compared to the other speakers.
2) I'm trying to calibrate for reference level. With the receiver (DENON 3310), I assume one should set for 0dB and the adjust the trims as it's a relative scale unlike my Yamaha. However, If I use the S&V disk, I need to use different trim settings to keep the 0dB reference mark. So this is in essence why I ask which is more accurate.

PS3 is the source you need to calibrate with. If you don't own the AVIA with full range pink noise, I would consider purchasing the AIX disc for Blu-ray calibration. If you own the AVIA, use it.

Rope

Okay I just found out the PS3 plays dvds as well (didn't know that :doh: ). Time to calibrate video too.

Should this be sufficient even for Blu Ruy disks, or is it still DVD specific?

Lastly, I'm still curious as to why the volume differences.

Every input component has the potential of different SP levels, just as recording differ in SPL. Choose the input device you will be using most to listen and view media, calibrate with media you will be using day to day.

If you don't own the Blu-ray calibration media, I would encourage the use of Spears & Munsil Blu-ray video and AIX for Blu-ray lossless audio formats.

Rope

The frequency range of the test tones is critical to taking measurements. The more narrow the test tone range, the greater the impact of room acoustics on the meaured levels.

Personally, I use a frequency response measurement so I can adjust based on the overall response between about 300Hz and 7kHz. The levels in that range should average to the same for each speaker.

Back