• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

S&V reviews Polk Audio's LSiM

Has anyone else noticed the measured response of current speakers is tilted downward from the bass to the treble where the treble is several dB lower than the bass?

Does anyone remember my relentless and ongoing lectures on that subject?

Something like a High Frequency roll off was a good thing, unlike the hyped peaky high end of many mass market speakers. That give people the illusion that highs are more airy and detailed. It is initially pleasing but soon grates on your nerves. Causing speaker/ear fatigue, from your brain trying to compensate for the frequency response errors.

I hope I got that right, or close enough.

On the other hand, the low end frequency response of those micro sub's, does not look too exciting. Which is another Flint tutorial, one note boomy bass or such.

Flint said:
Has anyone else noticed the measured response of current speakers is tilted downward from the bass to the treble where the treble is several dB lower than the bass?

Does anyone remember my relentless and ongoing lectures on that subject?
I remember it. But what I don't remember is the disparity. How much of a drop off should there be between 20Hz and 20kHz? 6dB??

I have a soft spot for Polk speakers but I have some concerns with their ability to attract buyers in this price range. I've read some comments on Club Polk from people who own these speakers. It sounds like the production quality is very high. I just don't know how many people who willing to spend $4k on a pair of speakers will give these serious consideration.

Seems to me there's another forum member, besides Mazer, who owns Polk LSi series speakers. (can't remember who), but said they're very capable and likes 'em a lot . . .

AndySTL said:
I just don't know how many people who willing to spend $4k on a pair of speakers will give these serious consideration.

If there are people willing to spend $2000 on a Bose system then I would think there are people that wouldn't blink spending $4000 on these.

People form opinions based on perception on what they hear or want they believe.

After all what percentage of people know about companies like Salk Sound, Axiom, RBH.

I recall hearing Mazer's LSi's and was impressed with them, but for the money I would look elsewhere.

MatthewB said:
I recall hearing Mazer's LSi's and was impressed with them, but for the money I would look elsewhere.
Not enough bass for your tastes?

It may surprise you Zing but when listening to music I don't like a lot of bass.

So MattB likes bass overload in his movies but bass lite in his music, obviously the man is mentally unbalanced. :sad-bored:

TitaniumTroy said:
"So MattB likes bass overload in his movies but bass lite in his music, obviously the man is mentally unbalanced." :sad-bored:
good laugh out of this post . . . ,, :laughing-rolling:

TitaniumTroy said:
So MattB likes bass overload in his movies but bass lite in his music, obviously the man is mentally unbalanced. :sad-bored:

You guys have no idea. Seriously how I'm not constantly strapped to a bottle of Thorazine is beyond me.

Back