• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

S&V reviews six cans + Best and worst celebrity HP

Now that I've read the reviews and conclusion of the Celeb Cans...

They ranked them all worst to first but in the conclusion said why buy any of these? There are better to be had. I was surprissed that the AKG version were so low on the list.

FredtheFilmFan said:
Now that I've read the reviews and conclusion of the Celeb Cans...

They ranked them all worst to first but in the conclusion said why buy any of these? There are better to be had. I was surprissed that the AKG version were so low on the list.

The AKG Quincy Jones Q 701 differs from the non celeb K 701/702. I have not auditioned the Q 701s, but from what I've read, they're bass heavy.

Rope

From the "review"...

The Q701 is clearly not a big-bass headphone. It has the least bass response of all the over-the-ear headphones in this comparison, comparable to what I’ve measured from my Grado SR225i, a popular model with audiophiles who want an "accurate" and relatively bass-light sound. There’s a larger- and narrower-than-normal peak centered at 5.5 kHz, which may give these headphones a greater sense of high-frequency detail. Sensitivity of these headphones is very low; on average they will give you -10 to -12 dB less output than the other headphones in this test — making it difficult to use them with some portable devices (since those tend to have low-powered headphone amps onboard).

If you have gear that can run them, a head that can hold them, and don't mind a notable lack of bass, the Quincy Q 701s are a good, old-school headphone.

a7a8133e.jpg

I have 240's version whatever. They're big but comfy and I look silly wearing them, but I think they sound nice. I just don't wear them when I'm on the treadmill or going for a jog outside.

You mention the sensitivity, I wonder if they used a headphone amp in the test or only plugged them in to a source? I don't remember on the review what they said.

Back