• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Samsung Display spinoff opens doors

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Most of you may already know this, but Samsung, one of the largest display manufacturers in the world, spun off their display business as a separate stand alone corporation. Like most spin-offs, they own most of the stock for now.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/sams ... -launches/

This allows them to focus on innovation in more interesting areas while allowing the very successful display business to make desicions on product, marketing, support, staff, and such without the burden of considering how the rest of Samsung will be affected.

Doghart said:
Is Samsung really selling much of anything that's not a display or smartphone?

D
Assuming you're counting computer monitors as displays, I'd have to say they're selling the hell out of appliances.

Samsung is the second largest CPU manufacturer, the third largest RAM manufacturer, and the second largest NV-RAM manufacturer. They make storage devices, sub-components, parts (resistors, capacitors, etc.). They make satellite equipment, telecommunications infrastructure equipment, manufacturing equipment, and many other things.

In CPU silicon market share:
Intel = 15.6%
Samsung = 9.2%
TI = 4.5%
Toshiba = 4.1%
Renesas = 3.4%

Open up just about any electronics device and you'll find Samsung parts inside. They are a HUGE technology company and not just a display and smart phone maker. They are bigger than TI or Freescale, they are one hell of a giant in the industry.

to add to that they build industrial products and things you wouldn't think they build. I want to say they build ships too, but could be wrong. I believe they are the worlds largest manufacturer?

that all made me go to Wikipedia:
Samsung Group (Korean: 삼성그룹 / Samseong Geurup / [sam'sʌŋ gɯ'ɾup], informally Samsung) is a South Korean multinational conglomerate company headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul. It comprises numerous subsidiaries and affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol.

Notable Samsung industrial subsidiaries include Samsung Electronics (the world's largest information technology company measured by 2011 revenues),[3][4] Samsung Heavy Industries (the world's second-largest shipbuilder measured by 2010 revenues),[5] and Samsung Engineering and Samsung C&T (respectively the world's 35th- and 72nd-largest construction companies).[6] Other notable subsidiaries include Samsung Life Insurance (the world's 14th-largest insurance company),[7] Samsung Everland (the oldest theme park in South Korea)[8] and Cheil Worldwide (the world's 19th-largest advertising agency measured by 2010 revenues).[9][10]

Samsung produces around a fifth of South Korea's total exports[11] and its revenues are larger than many countries' GDP; in 2006, it would have been the world's 35th-largest economy.[12] The company has a powerful influence on South Korea's economic development, politics, media and culture, and has been a major driving force behind the "Miracle on the Han River".[13][

I've visited "Samsung City" in Korea and that place - a factory city - is larger than Austin.

Some of these are outdated, but they give a clear impression of the size of Samsung:

isuppli_NAND_market_share_3q09_dec_09_550.JPG

Gartner_DRAM_marketshare_4q08_feb_09_550.JPG

In the fall of 2010 Samsung was reported as the number two Refrigerator manufacturer worldwide with 11% of the market. Only Whirlpool was larger at 14% of the global market.

Samsung Heavy Industries is the spin-off company from the parent Samsung company when they divested of their original shipping, ship-building, and heavy machinery business.

Samsung is the second largest ship building company in the world.

My younger brother is a Chief Engineer for Pacific Drilling and has been to the Samsung Korea Shipyard numerous times commissioning their new ships. He will be heading back there again in the next couple of months.

They have 2 new ones being built right now and have one on order.

http://www.pacificdrilling.com/Operations/Fleet-Status/default.aspx

Samsung and Hyundai are both a hell of a lot bigger than most Americans think. Then again, there are a surprising number of Americans who still think South Korea is a poor developing country <facepalm>. The place is about the size of New Jersey, has a population of about 45 million and last I checked had the 18th largest GDP on the planet. Not only are they a technology giant, but they are becoming a cultural giant. Korean television and music is huge all over Asia and is even starting to make inroads here. I really miss Seoul sometimes. I'd go back in a second if I could find work there.

Korea (they don't refer to themselves as "South" Korea) is a juggernaut. Our new free trade agreement with them is better for the US than for Korea because of their growing influence in the world. They are well on their way to becoming bigger than Japan was at its peak as a global supplier of products, technology, and innovatioin. I spend a considerable amount of time working with Korean companies and people. It is amazing how hungry they are to learn, grow, improve, and be exactly what is needed within their abilities and advantages.

Right now my niece is teaching American English to school children in deep rural Korea and she cannot believe how eager they are to become successful, wealthy adults. America has lost much of that individual drive to become something great through incredibly hard work, doing the work no one else will do, and driving absolute innovation individually. There are a few who try to be better at all costs, but those willing to do what it takes are dwindling year by year.

I cannot wait to see what Korea turns into over the next 10 years!

By the way, aside from Japan, Korea is the only Pacific Rim country I've been to where there are hundreds of sporting goods stores lining the streets of the cities. Their quality of life is at the point that they spend significant amounts of their income to go "outdoors" purely for fun. That is extremely rare in Asia in general.

I was done researching Samsung for the forum and was on to studying the technology market news as part of my job and what do I find? It's an article about Samsung's notebook business anticipating a 30% growth rate in 2012. The article also states they are number 7 in notebooks in the world at 6.1% mareket share.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120402PD215.html

I only say "South" Korea for one reason: every time I don't, somebody says, "You mean South Korea, right." This makes me nuts, especially when I'm talking about having lived there and how modern Seoul is and how vibrant the place is and how wealthy it is. No, I'm clearly talking about the dirt-poor backward north. Really. Ug.

Flint said:
By the way, aside from Japan, Korea is the only Pacific Rim country I've been to where there are hundreds of sporting goods stores lining the streets of the cities. Their quality of life is at the point that they spend significant amounts of their income to go "outdoors" purely for fun. That is extremely rare in Asia in general.

Koreans are huge hikers. Every weekend, droves of people head off to go hiking in the mountains and many others climb the many mountains right in and around Seoul. I was fortunate to live in the "Green Belt" in a house in the woods at the foot of a mountain trail. I could walk out my front door, hit the trail, hike around 1/3 of the way up the mountain and then about half-way around the mountain to a Buddhist monastery that had a natural spring to drink from. I'd then hike down the mountain from there and follow the road back to the university campus. The university I taught at was in No-Won Gu out past the Korean Military Academy, next to the Olympic shooting venue and across the street from the KCIA tracking station. We were also very close to three Korean military bases. This is on the northeast side of the city.

Haywood said:
Flint said:

Koreans are huge hikers. Every weekend, droves of people head off to go hiking in the mountains and many others climb the many mountains right in and around Seoul. I was fortunate to live in the "Green Belt" in a house in the woods at the foot of a mountain trail. I could walk out my front door, hit the trail, hike around 1/3 of the way up the mountain and then about half-way around the mountain to a Buddhist monastery that had a natural spring to drink from. I'd then hike down the mountain from there and follow the road back to the university campus. The university I taught at was in No-Won Gu out past the Korean Military Academy, next to the Olympic shooting venue and across the street from the KCIA tracking station. We were also very close to three Korean military bases. This is on the northeast side of the city.

I am sure that you have some great stories to tell........how many years ago were you there? :text-threadjacked: :text-imsorry:

I lived in Seoul from March 1997 through December 1998, so 22 months in total. My wife was pregnant with our first child, which was why we decided to come back to the states. I often wish we'd stayed. We both LOVED it there and were very happy. Of all the places we ever lived, Seoul was our favorite.

Flint said:
I've visited "Samsung City" in Korea and that place - a factory city - is larger than Austin.
If I'm not mistaken.......Samsung built a new LCD panel plant in China that could house their plant in Korea just in the 1st floor.
Edit: I can't find any reliable info about this (did find where Samsung & four other Companies were appling to build LCD panel plants in China awhile back...but nothing more.....I'll keep checking though)
Found this from this new Samsungs Display site (they now have 5 plants....yes, one in China):
http://www.samsungdisplay.com./eng/intro/location.jsp

Back