• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Samsung UN65H7150 - Video Calibration (Pulling my hair out)

bmwuk

Well, I am totally confused as to why with the 3 times filter on the Spears and Munsil Calibration disk I can't achieve black levels for the left test pattern. Trick is just to begin with I have difficulty identifying contrast and the level of clipping (box inside the box).

I have turned off all video added crap (HDMI noise, etc) or at least I think. But somehow I am not getting what I want or as described by the disk. Any help is welcome. Currently my source is a Panasonic BMP-BD85 (is that the issue). I am replacing it with an Oppo 103D. Thanks in advance on any help that can be offered.

Also, what is the sharpness setting? Trying to balance this with a family that seems to need 100% of my time is very frustrating. :angry-banghead:

Re: Samsung UN65H7150 - Video Calibration (Pulling my hair o

You'll probably have better luck over at AVS Forum. Here's the link to the thread for your TV: :text-link:. I suggest looking at the first page and then maybe the most recent five to ten pages; most of the info like recommended settings usually gets repeated fairly regularly.

CMonster, yeah I had briefly looked at the information. I will dig further. I have the TV very nice at this time when my wife and I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. The detail was very nice. But I just want to obtain that ideal picture.

Rope, I tried those settings and I assume they were all good but I just want to do mine on my own. See if I can be a solid calibrator with the discs.

Also, I want to get it nice with my current Blu Ray player so when I put on the Oppo 103D, I will be able to A/B compare. I'm excited at the possibilities.

Since the lighting in the room where your display is located and the panel are technically different, those settings are a guide to heip the user get "close" then tweak for his/her best performance.

Rope

Well I used the user Z-Mad's calibration settings from the AVS forum and the picture looks stellar. I'd argue that my efforts with the normal calibration disks would probably not achieve the level of clarity and detail. But I will see when I use the Oppo since it has 2 HDMI outputs. So I can do the calibration disk on one output and Z-mad's settings on the other.

Correction, I didn't use the auto motion plus. Looks to fake to me when I see it in action (soap opera effect).
"

lovemytoys said:
bmwuk could you post link for the setting please

Sure.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...g-unxxh7150-unxxh7100af-owners-thread-43.html

That is his second setting, the first was on page 42 or so. He seems to prefer this one. I did use a higher backlight setting for my room which has some lighting.

Let me know your comments on it.

From his post if you can't pull up and for easier access for me later on....

For those interested, here is also the brighter gamma calibration using B.T.1886 gamma curve, which provides better dark detail and pops a little more. I prefer this gamma calibration myself, and H7150 did great with gamma tracking (graphs attached below).

--Picture menu--
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8 (some may choose a bit higher backlight in brighter rooms)
Contrast: 99
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color: 51
Tint: G50/R50

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

--Advanced settings--
Dynamic contrast: Low
Black tone: Dark
Flesh tone: 0 (potentially -3 for reduced redness in skin/facial tones, depending on preference)
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom [see below]
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

--Color Space--
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 46, Green 0, Blue 1
Green: Red 13, Green 46, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 14, Blue 47
Yellow: Red 53, Green 48, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 47, Blue 48
Magenta: Red 43, Green 14, Blue 45

White balance:
2 Point:
R-Offset: -5
G-Offset: -3
B-Offset: +3
R-Gain: +7
G-Gain: +1
B-Gain: -10

10 Point:
10%: Red +49, Green +50, Blue +28
20%: Red -24, Green -24, Blue -26
30%: Red -29, Green -29, Blue -34
40%: Red -26, Green -29, Blue -31
50%: Red -24, Green -25, Blue -28
60%: Red -18, Green -22, Blue -23
70%: Red -14, Green -16, Blue -15
80%: Red -7, Green -9, Blue -12
90%: Red +1, Green -4, Blue -6
100%: Red +3, Green +1, Blue -2

--Picture options--
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Film mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Cinema Black: High

Auto Motion Plus submenu:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 2
LED Clear Motion: Off

Alot of those guys that post those setting also have very expensive equipment to use when calibrating and are ISF techs.

Barney, correct. That's why I used it. I only adjusted my backlight for it.

Back