• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Schitt, Parasound, Sony or HiFiMan Headphone amp/DAC

TitaniumTroy

I was considering one of these four to go with a pair HiFiMan400i headphones (93db sens). Specifically Schitt's Magni2 amp at $99 with Bitfrost DAC at $399. Sony's UDA-1 USB DAC at $400, and Parasound's Zdac v2 at $530. And last but not least is HiFiMan's EF100 hybrid tube amp at $499 with whatever DAC.

I would poke around at head-fi to see what people are using to drive HiFiMan planars these days. And in this case, I would say balance the $$ more towards the amp than the DAC, as planars are kinda known to be power-hungry.

I had the HiFiMan planar headphone + hybrid tube/ss amp combo, but it was their first version that came out years ago - he-400 or something? I don't remember the model number. But the regular tube amp(s) I had at the time were completely inadequate to drive these headphones. Meaning, obvious distortion/clipping even at moderate volumes.

I'm not too sure your going to get enough punch out of the Magni to drive those cans, the Lyr or the A2 would be more appropriate. I have an A2 that you may try if you will pay for shipping.

I am considering buying either a Lambo, a Ferrari, or a Buggati, but am not sure which one(s) would fit me best. I'd be happy to cover the shipping costs if anyone would like to lend me one so that I can try it out.

Jeff

ps. Don't you wish that car forums worked like The Audio Annex does? Gotta love this place and its members!

TitaniumTroy said:
Thanks Walls, I will let you know if I take up your offer.

No problem, and if you like it you can save on the return shipping by making me an offer to keep it. Lol

Back