• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Schitts Creek: genius standard sitcom comedy

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I've have been a huge fan of Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara since I discovered SCTV in the late 1970s as a pre-teen. I have loved just about every performance they've delivered from the mom in Home Alone to the dad in American Pie, and much more. So, when I saw they were leading an ensemble cast in the CBC / Netflix show, Schitts Creek, I had to see it.

Well, I wasn't disappointed.

Eugene delivers his brilliant and understated humor as the "stable" member of the family, only showing the frailty of his calm demeanor as small chinks in his expressions and those amazing eyebrows - he could (and should) teach a masterclass on the power of the eyebrow in comedy.

Catherine brings back the washed up famous actress character of her SCTV days, but with absolutely perfect depth and background to make her a real person with all the weaknesses, arrogance, fear, and love (and the occasional bout of empathy) that ensures you are never too complacent in your predictions of her reactions. She maintains the character, even in the expression she carries with her, throughout every scene we see her, even when she is merely in the background with no lines.

Together they are genius. The rest of the acting is standard sitcom fodder, but those two carry the bulk of the depth and ensure the writing is presented at its best.

Overall, the show is lighthearted, predictable, and completely throw away in terms of value. But the humor is infectious with the lack of laugh-track adding to its appeal. Like Corner Gas, they have perfected the timing for a show where pauses cannot be inserted for the audience to laugh and ensure that the viewer realizes that stupid line was meant to be a joke. I love it.

I recommend it.

On a personal note, watching Catherine perform as Moira Rose is like watching my ex-wife, Sunday. In every way from expressions, reactions when faced with diverse & challenging situations, ambivalence, and desperate need to gain fame or attention, makes watching this show very therapeutic for me. I am watching a woman who is the exactly like my ex-wife, but older.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3526078/
600x600bb-85.jpg

My cousin is in town and he watched a few episodes while I was around. I liked it too.I't pretty much exactly what you'd expect from those two (i.e., Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara)... i even liked the kids in the show (Anne Murphy and Daniel Levy) -- which I agree is totally standard "sitcom fodder".

Eugene Levy is outstanding! I’ll have to give this a look.

“Schitt’s Creek” has been renewed for a sixth and final season.

Whoop!!!!

I love this show!

You know its funny you mention this show. My wife and I were watching it the other day and we both looked at each other and said "What is wrong with Chris Elliot, is he ill?" He looks so thin. I just googled. Apparently bad dental work and a new found addiction to running has resulted in him losing 75 lbs. He describes it hilariously on a Conan clip. Good to know he is not sick.

As with Schitt's Creek, I don't understand how this works...but anyway...happening in real life...
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...otest-trump-n1018561?cid=referral_taboolafeed

I didn't want to post this in the politics section, since I don't want to have a politics discussion about it...just find it somewhat amusing that this can really happen.
That little town is only about 1/2 an hour from me, and my daughter used to work at the bar that is in the town.

My old boss's father used to do a walk every year for charity, which he named from Paradise to Hell and beyond, as he would start in the Upper Peninsula and walk to Hell, and then on to Ohio. He did this when he was in his 90's, and was mentioned on David Letterman. And while he was never my boss, his son was, but this guy started the company I work for way back in 1954. LINK to article on his walk for charity.

Idk why I never found the time to give this show a try, but I finally did this weekend. I’m about half way through season 2. It started off a tad slow but somewhere in the middle of S1Ep2 it took off. If this show stays on this trajectory, it could see this being in my personal top 5 for comedies. F@#king hilarious.

I cannot stop laughing at every single thing Katherine (or os it Catherine?) Ohara says, she's a friggin comedy genius.

Idk why I never found the time to give this show a try, but I finally did this weekend. I’m about half way through season 2. It started off a tad slow but somewhere in the middle of S1Ep2 it took off. If this show stays on this trajectory, it could see this being in my personal top 5 for comedies. F@#king hilarious.

I have never watched it but will give it a try.

See this show won a butt load of Emmys last night.

I have attempted to watch several times but have difficulty suppressing my big dislike of Chris Elliott, he spoils it for me

I have attempted to watch several times but have difficulty suppressing my big dislike of Chris Elliott, he spoils it for me

We started watching it but I just didn't really get into it.

Agreed. I normally like this sort of dry humor, but the characters in this show were so incredibly stupid/dysfunctional/stereotyped it's like they were only a caricature of themselves. It just got old. And I watched the first season at least twice, then part of the second season at least.

I know exactly how you feel. Thankfully he's not in every scene, though any at all is too much...

Agreed. I normally like this sort of dry humor, but the characters in this show were so incredibly stupid/dysfunctional/stereotyped it's like they were only a caricature of themselves. It just got old. And I watched the first season at least twice, then part of the second season at least.
1600797088531.png

Back