• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

September - Time for Christmas songs!

September song will always be EWF for me Dennie. :music-listening:

Different song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ldVj34Sfo[/youtube]

Rather poignant little tune... :|

That's the one Botch, thanks for posting that! The "Durante" album from 1963 I posted was his first "Serious" album. Meaning.... No Humor or Slapstick, just Jimmy singing and I really, really enjoy it.

The first time I played "September Song" and heard it, I was moved by it. It was Willie's version on his 1978 "Stardust" album....

41rzZW9SN9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Stardust" (Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish) – 3:53
"Georgia on My Mind" (Hoagy Carmichael, Stuart Gorrell) – 4:20
"Blue Skies" (Irving Berlin) – 3:34
"All of Me" (Seymour Simons, Gerald Marks) – 3:54
"Unchained Melody" (Hy Zaret, Alex North) – 3:50
"September Song" (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson) – 4:35
"On the Sunny Side of the Street" (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh) – 2:36
"Moonlight in Vermont" (John Blackburn, Karl Suessdorf) – 3:25
"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (Duke Ellington, Bob Russell) – 2:33
"Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:03

I had picked up a "collection" of about 300 albums. I had never seen or heard it before. Sure, I knew Willie and had a couple of his Cassettes over the years and I enjoyed them.

But.... "Stardust" was different. This was not the Willie I knew and to be honest with you, I didn't think he had much talent. I just figured he was riding on his "Outlaw" persona and it was working.

Boy was I wrong! Stardust opened my eyes to Willie's talent and I fell in love with "The Great American Songbook" and Willie's "Stardust" album. It is and will always be one of my (many) favorites.

If anyone is thinking of buying "Stardust" on CD, I highly recommend the "30th Ann. Legacy Edition" you get a bonus disk with 16 tracks. They were not recorded at the same time as "Stardust", but are well worth the few extra dollars....

"What a Wonderful World" (George David Weiss and Bob Thiele)
"Basin Street Blues" (Spencer Williams)
"I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)" (D. Dougherty, E. Reynolds and A. Neiburg)
"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" (Fred E. Ahlert and Joe Young)
"The Gypsy" (Billy Reid)
"Mona Lisa" (Jay Livingston and Ray Evans)
"Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" (Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen)
"Ole Buttermilk Sky" (Hoagy Carmichael and J. Brooks)
"That Lucky Old Sun" (Haven Gillespie and Beasley Smith)
"Little Things Mean a Lot" (E. Calisch and C. Stutz)
"Cry" (Churchill Kohlman)
"You'll Never Know" (Mack Gordon and Harry Warren)
"Tenderly" (Jack Lawrence and Walter Lloyd Gross)
"Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler)
"One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)" (Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen)
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent and Matt Dennis)

Thanks Again for the "Jimmy Durante" clip! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

PS I think everyone will agree.....Earth, Wind & Fire's "September" ROCKS!!! :music-rockout:

After looking up that video, I'm thinking a Durante GH might be a good purchase; I'm not normally into that kind of music, but there's a hell of a lot of heart in there...

Botch said:
After looking up that video, I'm thinking a Durante GH might be a good purchase; I'm not normally into that kind of music, but there's a hell of a lot of heart in there...

Yeah, Jimmy was great and like you say, when he sang, he seemed to mean it. A true great of his time. I bet if you asked a teenager who he was, they wouldn't have a clue.

Hurry, Amazon only has 16 copies "in-stock".... (more on the way, thank God!) :laughing-rolling:

d279b2c008a0596925e88010.L._AA300_.jpg

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Back