• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Seriously considering this Receiver

Keep us posted on that reciever. I've been considering replacing my Rotel pre/pro in my boom-boom room just because of wanting to update the connections....but still very pleased with the Rotel/Marantz amp combo (my Oppo does the new audio decoding).
But my family room still has my old Marantz SR880 (about as old as Randy's) and will be replacing it when i replace my old Toshiba HD ready RPTV (with 1 DVI/HDCP input).
You suck again my friend.

Congrats! And:

bill-murray-you-suck-239x300.jpg

It might be fun to run it then run the 5803 as the power amp and see if the Onkyo runs cooler that way.
Also to see if there is any sonic difference..

Razz said:
It might be fun to run it then run the 5803 as the power amp and see if the Onkyo runs cooler that way...

The amp section will still be engaged and therefore it won't run any cooler. I used a Yamaha RX-2400 as a pre/pro in my room for several months and the receiver was as hot as if it were driving the speakers. Also, most of the heat generated in the Onkyos comes from the video processor(s).

Now the sound could be a different story but I wouldn't think the difference (if any) would be very significant.

John

It'd be interesting to know if electrically disengaging the amps does much to the sound quality. I recall that Outlaw audio was offering to disengage the amps in a Marantz receiver that was (is?) very popular as a low buck / high performance processor. At the very least it'll draw significantly less power when on.

In order to disengage the amp section of a receiver, you'll need to pop the top and pull the fuses on the amp rail. This will reduce heat and perhaps noise floor. As for sonic improvement, highly unlikely, since the same circuitry is processing the signal without the amp section.

Rope

Quick update.

This receiver is pretty damn cool. Literally. It runs cool to the touch, even after a 3 or 4 hour listening session it is hardly warm.

There is a very noticeable difference between the Onkyo and my 5803. Not sure how to put it into words, but the denon sounded more natural, whereas this receiver seems to push mid levels a bit and can be a little bright. I ran it for several days without doing the Audessy setup and was a little disappointed and the sound quality, thinking I had maybe made a mistake in buying it. 5 minutes after running Audessy.... WOW! what a difference! even though my Denon had a more natural sound, it never made movies and TV sound so good with the surround processing.

The best part of this purchase is all of the network features (internet radio streams, DLNA directly from my PC etc...) and the flexibility to control every video and audio input separately. It also has ISF modes and adjustments for PQ.

I now have an app on my phone for my TV, Receiver and Directv DVR.... now that is cool!

For the price this guy was an excellent buy. It was worth it just to clean up all tha additional cabling behind my entertainment center.

For $700 I am impressed. If I would have paid the retail $1200 price tag, I would have stuck with the Denon.

D

koufax65 said:
What app do you have for your TV and Directtv and dvr? Android or Iphone?

Android.

There is an app for the Onkyo on iTunes, not sure about the DirecTV or Samsung TV apps though.

D

Back