• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Setting up an active system

TKoP

So, I need to get my speaker project completed -- it's absolutely retarded that I haven't done ANYTHING since IG and BD were over.

Anyway, in complete ignorance, I had assumed that the crossover I had accepted RCA plugs -- it takes 1/4" connection.

But, does it matter if it's the balanced or unbalanced variety?

TipsTricks02.gif

Also, seems like the best places I'm finding (granted, I'm a little tired right now) are the music stores (e.g., zzounds.com). Anybody have a better source.

Off to bed... way too tired for only 10pm

Music stores are fine, that's where I get most of this type of stuff. I like the Hosa brand of cables and adapters for being affordable and reliable.

In most cases unbalanced connectors are fine.

I bought some things from Zzounds and were good to me. For used stuff, ebay is good. I would go with diy for cables. Look up Neutrik connectors and Canare cables here.

Which crossover do you have? If you're going from RCA on your preamp to 1/4 on the crossover, you'd use the TS (unbalanced) style connector. And yeah, assuming you've got a relatively short distance between these, you can use any basic cable for it; you can probably find them at a Guitar Center or some such place. You can also use a 1/4<->RCA adapter and a regular RCA cable.

PaulyT said:
......You can also use a 1/4<->RCA adapter and a regular RCA cable.

That's probably the route I would go if I have extra RCA cables around the house.

Yesfan70 said:
PaulyT said:
......You can also use a 1/4<->RCA adapter and a regular RCA cable.

That's probably the route I would go if I have extra RCA cables around the house.

Personally, I wouldn't go that route because it introduces another connection in the circuit. The RCA-1/4" cables can be had fairly inexpensively and that's one less headache down the road.

:twocents-mytwocents:

John

I do both.

I keep plenty of 1/4 M to RCA F adapters around and lots of RCA cable around for testing, prototyping, playing, and experimenting. When I first setup a system, it is with adapters and RCA cables. Then, after I am 100% happy with a setup I am going to installer permanently, I buy or build the right cables with appropriate connectors for long term install use. Then the adapters and RCA cables go into storage.

I found over the years that keeping track of both RCA and RCA-to-1/4 cables is a real pain in the rear.

I use either barrier blocks or computer "D" connectors for everything I design for myself. The 1/4" phone plug is, in my experience, one of the most unreliable connectors there is (unreliable in the sense that they develop poor connections over time and drop signal or create a noisy signal);. I have found that RCA connectors are even more reliable than phone plugs. The XLR connector is very reliable.

Barrier block:
38770-0108.jpg

Back