• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sharp Elite LCD

Rope

Famous
Sharp Elite Pro-60X5FD LCD LED HDTV
1111sharpelite.2.jpg

Rope

This set is the cover story on the new Home Theater, I haven't read the article yet. I note that the "Elite" moniker is even done in the very same font that Pioneer used...

Yes, it's used under Pioneer licensing. As it relates to displays, if Pioneer is willing to put their name on it, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Rope

Saw one in Magnolia several weeks back, it is stunning....

The thing is though, the "king of the hill" Pioneer Kuro was actually a plasma set, wasn't it? The new Sharp tv is an LED...
Oh, and gezundheit! :mrgreen:

So the name Elite is actually the brand name and not some model line (kinda like comparing Integra to Onkyo)? I didn't read all of it, but noticed those sets also share the price tags of the old Kuro sets.

If they are anything like my old Pioneer RPTV was, then the prices are justifiable imo. Unfortunately, I can't justify myself paying that much for any TV anymore. Still, a Elite LED projector would be an inciting buy if one were made.

I perceive the Pioneer exedus from the flat panel display market as an error in marketing strategy. They seemed to have put all their eggs in the high end consumer basket, ignoring intermediate, and enter level consumers. That's not to imply they didn't manufacture a state of the art plasma panel at a retail price that was acceptable, but most consumers were awe struck (duped) by less expensive, bright LCD displays the retailers pushed extensively. Noting the consumer was, and in my opinion still is, uneducated when purchasing electronics.

The Sharp business model, on the other hand, has positioned them squarely by offering a premium LCD display bearing the Elite badge while maintaining their regular Sharp line.

In my estimation it's unfortunate for the consuming public that Pioneer is no longer manufacturing KURO. I guess ignorance is truly bliss.

Rope

Rope, this info sounds interesting:
" Full LED- backlit local dimming helps produce the inky blacks we all crave. Sharp hasn’t released and won’t confirm the number of dimming zones they’re using, but sources have told us it’s 240 zones in our 60-inch model and 336 zones in the 70-inch."
Its been awhile since I checked but finding out how many "zones" or what I call LED panels the displays has ....most of the time you can't find the info.
At somepoint I'm going to have to replace my 52" Toshiba HD ready RPTV in our family room (if sitting in the sweet spot, this monitor still is beautiful...but getting very old). These LED's have caught my attention sometimes...

Barney said:
Rope, this info sounds interesting:
" Full LED- backlit local dimming helps produce the inky blacks we all crave. Sharp hasn’t released and won’t confirm the number of dimming zones they’re using, but sources have told us it’s 240 zones in our 60-inch model and 336 zones in the 70-inch."
Its been awhile since I checked but finding out how many "zones" or what I call LED panels the displays has ....most of the time you can't find the info.
At somepoint I'm going to have to replace my 52" Toshiba HD ready RPTV in our family room (if sitting in the sweet spot, this monitor still is beautiful...but getting very old). These LED's have caught my attention sometimes...

According to the reviewer, the Elite LCD matches, or even bests the last production (2009) KURO's. However, that comes with a price tag.

I haven't had the opportunity to view the Elite in person, although if I were in the market for a new panel, the Elite would be on my short list.

Rope

Back