• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shopping for a budget Projector

Caleb at Digital Trends is promising that 2024 is going to be the year of "big" TVs. CES will be held later this month, sounds like Sony won't be there but Sony/DT will be announcing some new offerings tomorrow, the 4th. fwiw:

Personally, I definitely would NOT down-size the screen.

I hear you and I don't think you're necessarily wrong. But just for fun, here's a comparison of the images sizes:

92-inch-16x9-vs-85-inch-16x9.png

I hear you and I don't think you're necessarily wrong. But just for fun, here's a comparison of the images sizes:

I get it but I would only even consider it if I were also moving the seating a little closer.

Caleb at Digital Trends is promising that 2024 is going to be the year of "big" TVs. CES will be held later this month, sounds like Sony won't be there but Sony/DT will be announcing some new offerings tomorrow, the 4th. fwiw:

Thanks @Botch, I watched the video and subscribed!

It may not look like much, but it’s a 15% decrease, not insignificant imo. And if a lot of your content is in CinemaScope/Letterbox, you won’t even be using all of that smaller size.

95571738-C810-4CC9-B25E-B7718529A13F.jpegD3617537-24CB-4BCE-A056-5BB0F2B89A84.jpeg

I agree, it's not insignificant. I am sure I would immediately feel the difference. On the other hand, better brightness and probably a crisper image. That's what's making it a difficult choice.

I'm in no hurry though, no plans to make any immediate timeline purchases. Perhaps 90" TVs will get down into afforable prices ranges this year, as Botch mentioned.

I agree, it's not insignificant. I am sure I would immediately feel the difference. On the other hand, better brightness and probably a crisper image. That's what's making it a difficult choice.

I'm in no hurry though, no plans to make any immediate timeline purchases. Perhaps 90" TVs will get down into afforable prices ranges this year, as Botch mentioned.

Seems like you're leaning towards a TV. I don't blame you as you don't have to worry about as many variables. The only objective advantage a projector based system has is the size to cost ratio. For movie watching I personally just seem to prefer the subjective "feel" of a projected image vs a TV.

You mentioned you'd subscribed to Caleb's channel so you may have already seen this; you have room for a 115"-er, right?

When my trusty Panasonic plasma finally dies someday (hopefully not anytime soon) I have a 92" fixed screen with a nice frame in storage and will make the move to a front projector. So it will be a big size upgrade for me the plasma is only a 60". It's a dedicated movie room we don't watch much down there other then occasional big events, Super Bowl, etc. So I think a projector will be more desirable for our use. And honestly I have yet to see any LED/OLED/anyLED flat panel display that looks as good to me as my old plasma when it comes to motion, black, noise/artifacts, etc. So maybe a DLP projector or I have seen some 3-chip LCOS JVC's and SXRD Sony's that look nice to me. AndySTL if you end up with a new projector let me know what you think of it.

When my trusty Panasonic plasma finally dies someday (hopefully not anytime soon) I have a 92" fixed screen with a nice frame in storage and will make the move to a front projector. So it will be a big size upgrade for me the plasma is only a 60". It's a dedicated movie room we don't watch much down there other then occasional big events, Super Bowl, etc. So I think a projector will be more desirable for our use. And honestly I have yet to see any LED/OLED/anyLED flat panel display that looks as good to me as my old plasma when it comes to motion, black, noise/artifacts, etc. So maybe a DLP projector or I have seen some 3-chip LCOS JVC's and SXRD Sony's that look nice to me. AndySTL if you end up with a new projector let me know what you think of it.
Hit me up for super competitive pricing on a JVC if you decide to go that route, I’m an authorized reseller.

Back