• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shure SE215

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
So my old Vsonic GR07 IEMs finally died, so I just got a Shure SE215. Will try it out shortly and post impressions. Not a high-end IEM by any means, just something decent to use with my phone and Spotify while traveling.

255262-shure-se215.jpg

I predict you'll find them boring at first, but after a dozen hours of use you'll understand all the descriptions I've used in praise of them.

Listening a bit this morning, with my iBasso DX90 as source. Some of my usual demo tracks, but otherwise just kinda flipping around whatever music I happen to have on the player. I'm using the medium-size foam tips that were on it when it came, though it also comes with big/small foam and a variety of the silicone rubber type tips as well. I guess it's cool that it has removable cables though that's not much of an issue for me, but if my daughters had these it would be great because they go through so many earbuds, and it's almost always an issue of the wires coming off the body of the iem/bud. Took a bit of fiddling to get the stiffer guide part of the cable into a shape that works with the over-the-ears style of wearing these (which I like better in general), but now they seem to fit well.

First impressions, and keep in mind this is after having the vsonic gr07 for 5+years, which were on the mellow side, so partly it's a reaction to change: Great detail; isolation and soundstage width are very good. Bass is clean and tight, although a little understated IMHO. Kinda forward in the midrange. Upper midrange and treble are clear, but also maybe a little "edgy" at times. Not to the point of harshness, but a little fatiguing on some recordings. Very good sound isolation because of the foam tips, although I'm currently sitting in a quiet room rather than a noisy vehicle. (I will take them on the commuter train when I go into the office next week.)

So far I'm quite happy with them given the moderate price point ($100).

These are the ones that I picked up last year..........

I love them! I use the largest foam tips and the sound isolation is great!

I use them on all my flights.

Enjoy your new gangsta toy!!

These are the ones that I picked up last year..........

I love them! I use the largest foam tips and the sound isolation is great!

I use them on all my flights.

Enjoy your new gangsta toy!!

Yeah, I, too, use the largest foam tips.

Listening a bit this morning, with my iBasso DX90 as source. Some of my usual demo tracks, but otherwise just kinda flipping around whatever music I happen to have on the player. I'm using the medium-size foam tips that were on it when it came, though it also comes with big/small foam and a variety of the silicone rubber type tips as well. I guess it's cool that it has removable cables though that's not much of an issue for me, but if my daughters had these it would be great because they go through so many earbuds, and it's almost always an issue of the wires coming off the body of the iem/bud. Took a bit of fiddling to get the stiffer guide part of the cable into a shape that works with the over-the-ears style of wearing these (which I like better in general), but now they seem to fit well.

First impressions, and keep in mind this is after having the vsonic gr07 for 5+years, which were on the mellow side, so partly it's a reaction to change: Great detail; isolation and soundstage width are very good. Bass is clean and tight, although a little understated IMHO. Kinda forward in the midrange. Upper midrange and treble are clear, but also maybe a little "edgy" at times. Not to the point of harshness, but a little fatiguing on some recordings. Very good sound isolation because of the foam tips, although I'm currently sitting in a quiet room rather than a noisy vehicle. (I will take them on the commuter train when I go into the office next week.)

So far I'm quite happy with them given the moderate price point ($100).

With the removable cable you can get the mic cable, the bluetooth cable, or one of the shorter/longer cables to meet differing needs without buying new IEMs.

With the removable cable you can get the mic cable, the bluetooth cable, or one of the shorter/longer cables to meet differing needs without buying new IEMs.
Ok that makes sense. Again not a need for me right now, but I see the value.

Ok that makes sense. Again not a need for me right now, but I see the value.

Yeah, my top end IEMs have the mic cable on them 90% of the time, but when I use them as monitors on my drums I have a really long, like 12 foot cable, which is much better than using a headphone extension cable. I also travel with a much lighter and thinner 3 foot cable for when I just want to go for a walk through a city with my IEMs inserted and plugged into my Audio Technica Bluetooth headphone amp which is easier and much more comfortable. I haven't purchased the Shure Bluetooth cable, yet, but I think I want it.

Ha! I'll let you know as soon as I try them again. :shocked: I haven't listened with them since first unboxing and doing a quick run through of my normal audition stuff, when I wrote the above. I just don't commute much, and ended up driving in last time. This is why it took me so long to replace my previous IEMs that were showing signs of failure for quite some time... and why it would be pointless for me to spend more money on higher end IEMs.

Sad times when music listening isn't being done and great gear isn't being used.

Oh I'm listening to plenty of music, just not with IEMs...

Back