• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Silk Purse out of a Pig's Ear? Flint's new coaxial speaker design

How different do the drivers sound in this more ideal enclosure? It seems like a really cool way of looking at the impact of cabinet design, because the drivers are identical while the cabinets are so different.

They are definitely better in the fancier cabinets - significantly better. The overall tonality and character is similar between the two, but there is more clarity, resolution, and detail in the fancy cabinets. There is also considerably more bass in the fancy system as the commercial system is sealed and is designed to pair with a custom matched subwoofer in all installations.

I could place the commercial speakers next to the fancy ones and compare measurements and sound. I will share that data and impressions later.

After listening to the speakers for several days and judging their strengths and weaknesses with multiple content types in my room, I sat down this morning and tweaked the crossover filters to get what think is the best performance possible from these speakers in the room they are in.

Here's the new Frequency Response:

SBA_Build_FinalFR_ListeningPosition.png
Chart: Red = Left Speaker, Black = Right speaker / Measured from Listening Position

As the chart shows, I got matching low end performance for both speakers by asking less from the right speaker which is closer to as side wall and thus stronger in the bass by applying a small EQ cut at the low end. When it comes to bass in small drivers, adding and EQ boost to one speaker to get to match its sibling is risky as a mere 3dB boost is doubling the power input. So, cutting the bass is safer and results is less added distortion and power compression.

The midrange is spot on, which is nice. The ripple in the midrange is helped a bit for measurement purposed by placing throw pillows on the console in front of the speakers for the measurements - I cannot use a DSP to eliminate reflection based comb-filtering.

Overall, I am very impressed by these little affordable speakers!

If I were the product marketer for these speakers, I would make the following claim:

Frequency Response: 55 - 23,000Hz +/-2.5dB
Bass Limit: 42Hz (-10dB)
Max Sustained SPL: 108dB SPL 1M per speaker (with appropriate amplification)

I think these are keepers. If anyone wants a pair, let me know. If making a set for you, I'd use a round plastic flared port and higher end input terminals as reduced labor costs vastly outweigh the added parts costs.

Direct from me the selling price with crossover, without amps, and using painted cabinets is $760 pair.

Options at an additional cost include stained/oiled wood baffles and/or cabinets, upgraded crossover, amplifiers included, etc.

After listening to the speakers for several days and judging their strengths and weaknesses with multiple content types in my room, I sat down this morning and tweaked the crossover filters to get what think is the best performance possible from these speakers in the room they are in.

Here's the new Frequency Response:

View attachment 9303
Chart: Red = Left Speaker, Black = Right speaker / Measured from Listening Position

As the chart shows, I got matching low end performance for both speakers by asking less from the right speaker which is closer to as side wall and thus stronger in the bass by applying a small EQ cut at the low end. When it comes to bass in small drivers, adding and EQ boost to one speaker to get to match its sibling is risky as a mere 3dB boost is doubling the power input. So, cutting the bass is safer and results is less added distortion and power compression.

The midrange is spot on, which is nice. The ripple in the midrange is helped a bit for measurement purposed by placing throw pillows on the console in front of the speakers for the measurements - I cannot use a DSP to eliminate reflection based comb-filtering.

Overall, I am very impressed by these little affordable speakers!

If I were the product marketer for these speakers, I would make the following claim:

Frequency Response: 55 - 23,000Hz +/-2.5dB
Bass Limit: 42Hz (-10dB)
Max Sustained SPL: 108dB SPL 1M per speaker (with appropriate amplification)

I think these are keepers. If anyone wants a pair, let me know. If making a set for you, I'd use a round plastic flared port and higher end input terminals as reduced labor costs vastly outweigh the added parts costs.

Direct from me the selling price with crossover, without amps, and using painted cabinets is $760 pair.

Options at an additional cost include stained/oiled wood baffles and/or cabinets, upgraded crossover, amplifiers included, etc.
Awesome work as always!!

Back