• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Simaudio's $18k pre-pro is a re-branded $1k Denon receiver

Re: Simaudio's $18k pre-pro is a re-branded $1k Denon receiv

Wow, that's disheartening...kinda. I doubt I would ever be in the market for anything that costs that much in the A/V world...but, that seems like a terrible business plan. As the guy says...Yay free market?!

THIS is why I argue that Japanese A/V electronics designers are REALLY FRIGGIN' GOOD!

Bryston = Lexicon.

Rope

Rope said:
Bryston = Lexicon.

Rope
You may want to clarify that statement.

As stated above, the implication is that Bryston is a copy of Lexicon. (English usage - rather than a mathematical equation.)

I trust you really meant to say that "Bryston manufactures some amplifiers for Lexicon" - which I believe is a statement of fact.

Correct?

JeffMackwood = DIYer

:teasing-tease:

I don't have as big a problem with this as most seem. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that Sim's pre/pro is 15 times better than Denon's. But ... Lets assume they made major changes to the UI, added video and/or processing improvements, upgraded components, and/or made changes to the circuit designs and layout of the hardware that improved (real or perceived) signal quality.

If we give Sim at least some benefit of the doubt that they did something more than throw Denon parts into a new chassis, is it not a different product. How much modification is required before it's okay to consider it a new product?

I can almost get there Towen but Sim is asking a ridiculous mark-up for their name and I'm having a real tough time with their stance on the licensing fees according to the linked article. I was surprised that the company readily admitted the use of the Denon architecture and that some of the internals were even changed at all...but from $1k or whatever to $18k is a fucking flat out joke and to an extent infuriates me that they can't justify the asking price with their own "from the ground up" R&D...all this and no apparent permission from Denon?!? Wtf? It just doesn't seem right. :twocents-mytwocents:

^ It's time for electronics justice. E-Batman to rescue! :happy-wavemulticolor:

^ :laughing-lettersrofl:

In the photos of the inside of the chassis, it was very obvious SIM Audio completely redesigned the innards.

Nevertheless, a person could buy a teriffic pair of loudspeakers and a great amp + preamp for 18K!

0023.gif

Back