• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Snake Oil? There's an App for That

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
"How many times have you purchased a new pair of headphones only to figure out you didn't like the sound quality? Did you know there is something you can do about it? It's called 'burn in'."

Unfuckingbelieveable!

Link to the headphones doctor app.

As if the notion of this isn't bad enough, wait until you read the description. It was obviously written by someone with very limited comprehension of the English language. What the hell happened to Apple's infamous QC?

I hate that term "burn in". The main reason is it's so associated with overpriced wire and cable.

I do think there is a break in period with speakers and headphones. However, I don't think it's one of those deals that's going to ruin the speakers/phones if it's not done in a certain amount of time or done "correctly" and in a certain way. I think it's just a natural process that you can just either speed up or let time take its course, much like breaking in a new pair of shoes.

I wasn't beating the burn-in-is-hogwash drum. I just found it (shall we say) interesting that an app is being sold - on iTunes no less - that runs sine wave sweeps and such claiming it will burn-in your headphones. And a very poorly written description of said app at that.

Yeah, that description was terrible. That person has to be from a non-English speaking country. Even Ashley's grammar is better than that.

Back