• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

So are 4k TVs with HDR and WCG

In my opinion, HDR and the various techniques to have more color gamut are vastly more important than 4K resolutions.

In my opinion, HDR and the various techniques to have more color gamut are vastly more important than 4K resolutions.
There are some good deals near me at Costco and I noticed the TVs with WCG so thanks for answering. They have Samsung, and LG TVs. Anyone know if LG TVs are any good?

i have one, but its an edge lit tv, so i cant say its the best quality.

the main reason i bought it was for its 3d capabilities.

you wouldnt need to worry about that part no more. :D

id stick with a samsung. always have always been happy with their multiple units.

As long as a set complies with Rec 2020, it has wide color gamut. These sets are not always marketed that way, as most HDR sets have this.

There are some good deals near me at Costco and I noticed the TVs with WCG so thanks for answering. They have Samsung, and LG TVs. Anyone know if LG TVs are any good?

I have a 65" OLED LG display which I bought in December. Looks fantastic and so far no problems.

No idea if my tv has WCG, but I know it does HDR and looks fantastic. Grandson was over the other night and wanted to watch Batman. So I throw my bluray of The Dark Knight into the 4K player, and it looked good. Then it got to an imax scene. Whoa! Best picture I've seen yet on my tv, and that was from an upconverted bluray. I haven't played my xbox much lately, but my daughter started playing Halo the other day, the rereleased version, and it looked fantastic. So yes, they are worth the money.

No idea if my tv has WCG, but I know it does HDR and looks fantastic. Grandson was over the other night and wanted to watch Batman. So I throw my bluray of The Dark Knight into the 4K player, and it looked good. Then it got to an imax scene. Whoa! Best picture I've seen yet on my tv, and that was from an upconverted bluray. I haven't played my xbox much lately, but my daughter started playing Halo the other day, the rereleased version, and it looked fantastic. So yes, they are worth the money.
What brand TV do you have?

Vizio 70 inch that I bought at Walmart. I was a little hesitant to buy, being it's a lower end model from Walmart, but have been very happy with the tv.

Vizio 70 inch that I bought at Walmart. I was a little hesitant to buy, being it's a lower end model from Walmart, but have been very happy with the tv.
ive heard and seen stupendous remarks about vizio tvs, and since the were selling them at costco, they were my second contenders.

i just had a bad itch for 3d back then.

like my itch for HD-DVD, which turned out to be an STD as well.

It's been a good tv to me so far. I've read about a few issues over at AVS, but none of those have shown up on mine, and the picture looks stunning when fed a decent a source.

I am by no means a videophile but my TV does look very nice . Sony 75" 850E which has HDR. I think 4k shows on Netflix look wonderful and even Blu Ray movies off my Oppo non4k player is really nice.

I decided to go with the TV below. It was the size and price I wanted. According to this website https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5-series-2018-s517 it has a decent picture. I thought about the TCL 6 series but decided to go with this one. I bought a 4 year protection plan with it.

Arriving Tuesday

TCL 55S517 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)

Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
$499.99

FEATURES
  • Dolby Vision HDR
  • HDR Dynamic Contrast
  • Wide Color Gamut with TCL’s NBP Photon Technology
  • Roku TV Smart Platform with thousands of streaming channels
  • Enhanced Remote with Voice Control
  • High-speed 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet networking
  • (3) HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2

Last edited:
Most of the source content that supports true HDR also happens to be 4K. So to truly get the HDR experience, you need to watch 4K content.

That means you will never know if the real cause for incredible new content is attributed more to 4K or HDR. One of the things that made digital cinema so vastly superior to BluRay wasn't resolution, because they have nearly identical resolutions. The reason digital cinema was superior to BluRay was more because of the higher color gamut.

One tricky bit with WCG is that support with different devices can be complicated, though that is mostly a problem with older devices like mine. My set supports 10-bit REC 2020, but not 12-bit. Some devices only support 8-Bit REC 720 or 12-bit REC 2020. This is likely just early adopter woes.

Back