• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

So what is Zone 2 and 3 useful for?

nelmr

So I'll be setting up my new receiver (which arrived at home today) when I get off work. This receiver has more features than I'd likely use (DENON 3310CI). I bought it because of the low price as it's yesteryears model, HDMI 1.3 (my 52" TV is 1.3), more inputs, and the extra power.

But It has new features that I don't mind exploring. One of those is it's multi zone support. I am running 5.1 so I can use the rears amps as zone 2. It also has pre outs for zone 2 and 3.

What situations do most people use the other zones for. I've never had a need so I can't really think of what to use this for.

You can use Zones to play music in other rooms or outside. I don't think the average person uses zones because of the hassle of running wires to said rooms, not to mention controlling the system from another space.

nelmr said:
So I'll be setting up my new receiver (which arrived at home today) when I get off work. This receiver has more features than I'd likely use (DENON 3310CI). I bought it because of the low price as it's yesteryears model, HDMI 1.3 (my 52" TV is 1.3), more inputs, and the extra power.

But It has new features that I don't mind exploring. One of those is it's multi zone support. I am running 5.1 so I can use the rears amps as zone 2. It also has pre outs for zone 2 and 3.

What situations do most people use the other zones for. I've never had a need so I can't really think of what to use this for.

Normally, zone's 2 and 3 are used to control and power speakers in another area, such as a den or kitchen. Not knowing all the ins and outs of this particular Denon, I can't say if they're operational simulatneously with zone 1.

Preouts come in handy if you choose to run an outboard amplifier to power your speakers.

Rope

Check the manual, you may be able to use them for height speakers. My Yamaha has that feature but I've not ever tried it (I'm still giddy with 5.1).

I use Zone 2 for my outside speakers and drive it with a separate 2 channel amp. My Zone 2 is independent of the main 5.1 system.

Towen7 said:
You can use Zones to play music in other rooms or outside. I don't think the average person uses zones because of the hassle of running wires to said rooms, not to mention controlling the system from another space.

You'd probably be surprised then that at least 70% of the remotes I do control a 2nd zone. The typical customer I do a remote for is over 65 and retired. The 2nd zone is typically either a whole house audio system or a deck/patio system. I have only done a few that use 3 zones.

The system is controlled w/ RF. They have complete independent control of each zone for source selection and source control. Depending on whether or not the customer uses local volume control, and their desires, they either have no volume control, mute/unmute only, or full volume control for each zone.

John

yromj said:
Towen7 said:

You'd probably be surprised then that at least 70% of the remotes I do control a 2nd zone. The typical customer I do a remote for is over 65 and retired. The 2nd zone is typically either a whole house audio system or a deck/patio system. I have only done a few that use 3 zones.

The system is controlled w/ RF. They have complete independent control of each zone for source selection and source control. Depending on whether or not the customer uses local volume control, and their desires, they either have no volume control, mute/unmute only, or full volume control for each zone.

John

I primarily use my Squeezebox for playing music on my Zone 2 so am able to control volume and such with the SB Controller. Very nice.

Back