• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sold my projector and screen.

Rear projection is expensive and extremely sensitive. If a $300 screen is out of the budget than nothing RP will be within it.

jomari said:
so, another thing i always wondered, anyone considered doing rear projector method?

i know it takes a lot of space, but i wonder if people really would consider it with the right pj (ie short throw)...

anyone done it before? experiences?

There are some efforts (and successes on a small scale) underway to develop affordable, flexible OLED screens, think: a poster that you can wrap around an architectural column, or in the rounded corner of a room, that shows video (I was actually investigating the idea of roll-up cable prints that could change to show different cables, and link to our new electronic Tech Data system, eTools/ETIMS). We (at least some of us) could see in our lifetimes TVs that we just hang up on the wall, like a curtain, or even TVs that retract like a projection screen! Already, the 55" OLED in my local Best Buy (which is 8 minutes away and open until 9 tonight :naughty: :snooty: ) is in a case only 1/4" thick!!
I know this doesn't solve your immediate issue Jomari, I'm just thinking out loud... :shhh:

Towen7 said:
Rear projection is expensive and extremely sensitive. If a $300 screen is out of the budget than nothing RP will be within it.

hahaha! yup, knew that too! i was just hoping to hear from yall who might have had it at one point or another. i know the screen material is different too, and saw that some people use some sort of black material.

pretty cool tho!

they also remind me of them old school rptvs (the ones in the bigger box units) some even with the curved screen.

waitaminute! we had this stuff in the 90s!!! crap, seriously i cant remember what movie that was in... ferris bueller? hmm... gotta remember...

finally bought the projector yesterday, got a 77inch tripod standing screen with it for about 89.99 bucks.

i knew this from the start that the projector isnt going to compete with my tv with regards to contrast, straight out of the box i could see it already. at first notice yes, my heart dropped, but after a while i kinda got over it. its the 'wow' factor i always loved about my first pj that the screen size does matter.

second, did a comparison with my hd70 which i had at home, native 720p, but definitely can see more details with the 1080p epson... i also did notice tho the blacks are different when it comes from a dlp to a led projector. definitely has a lot to say about a dlp projector. The LED altho i just got it, has to be used in 'normal' mode to get the brightness up to make you believe the contrast is down. (sorry the logic seems wierd as i quickly write this up)...

since the pj screen was manual, i had to work with how to get it to work with my current living space. Apparently the epson sucked with mounting or placement simply because it didnt 'mesh' well with my current screen.

the main problem is that
1. if you want it on a bookshelf or normal position, id have it almost the same level as the screen is, and since the screens bottom is at 33 inches, i had to have it almost the same area.
2. heres the kicker, since its right in front of it, i thought hey maybe i can put it behind the viewer or even in front. Not really either. based on the calculator, id have it 6 feet away from the screen, with 8 feet being where we are seated. cant kick up my feet either.
3.i tried thinking of putting it mounted on ceiling, but then using this screen its 'too low' so to speak, based on the calculator again. the calculator shows i have to have a drop tube of up to 3 feet. like a flipping ceiling fan!

anyways, aside from the problems, i think i might keep the screen just for kicks, and invest in a drop down screen, may it be acoustically transparent or the motorized one (i might go with the motorized one, since speakers are set at lower settings)...

i tried the 3d effect (yes, this is one main reason i bought it), and love it! i have the dts demo disc from ebay, and love how it worked. Tron was more subtle, Tangled was nice, and well, Peter Gabriel 'rain' song was outstanding!

anyways, just a quick write up of my last nights experience. i will be doing more later on.

am i keeping this pj? sure am, since the replacement bulb is at 100 bucks, and it seems to be what i want for cheap. will i keep the screen? i dunno, at 89.99 its a deal. but i can also put it towards the 159.99 motorized 84 incher too. until i move in my new place, i cant really say.

Back