• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Some 3D Discussion and Questions:

yromj

I have NO idea where to put this thread, so I will put it here. Mods feel free to move this to whereever it needs to go.

One question that I have, which I don't believe has been answered yet, is: Will legacy products, such as an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 pass 3D material through them? I know it's not supported and therefore not guaranteed to work, but has anyone actually tried it? After all, it's still 1080p material going through. Is it going through at 120Hz (60Hz for each "eye")? If so, that could mean that it won't be work. I'm just curious about this.

John

I don't know the answer for sure, but now have the ability to attempt this. I have the player, display, and content just have to get a known good HDMI cable that's not wire tied in my equipment rack. Although I have no need to insert the 5507 into the chain, this has been an answer I've been dying to find out. My guess is that the answer is yes, because out of curiosity I've popped in a couple 3D discs from Dreamworks and managed to ge an image, just didn't have the 3D capable display to confirm...

My experience, at least with my yamaha 1900, is that it will not pass the signal. Although that was with the Sony that I had, which needed the mitsubishi adapter, for me tv to be able to display the 3d. Rumor has it, that the panasonic I have now, which outputs in checkerboard, will work with my receiver, I just haven't tried it out yet.

Huey said:
I just haven't tried it out yet.
Well get on the stick Huey. Have your pals Dewey and Louie give you a hand. Inquiring minds want to know.

I would like to know this as well as I see some good prices on the 885 and 886 (along with their Integra cousins).

If it doesn't work, then I may just look for the 40.4 pre/pro as time and budget allow (probably when 6.5D/22.5 surround sound is out :doh: :angry-banghead: )

I personally don't see why anyone would waste their money on 3D. I just don't see the draw. I have watched plenty of movies in 3D and I think it sucks bad.

Maximo said:
I personally don't see why anyone would waste their money on 3D. I just don't see the draw. I have watched plenty of movies in 3D and I think it sucks bad.
:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:

Razz said:
Maximo said:
:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:

I'm still on the fence as all I have to go on was Avatar. Personally, I think it's going to be to video what 5.1 music is to audio. Just a prediction.

May have to hit Harry Potter or Captain America again, since the crowds will be low.

Harry Potter is going to NOTHING to help your opinion of 3D, it was converted to 3D and not shot that way. Don't waste your money...

If the 885's input/output assignment is set "through", and OSD immediate display is set to off, I see no reason why it shouldn't pass a 3D signal.

Rope

Rope said:
If the 885's input/output assignment is set "through", and OSD immediate display is set to off, I see no reason why it shouldn't pass a 3D signal.

Rope

I take it back, I believe the HDMI would need to be upgraded in order to pass 3D signal.

Rope

Rope said:
Rope said:

Rope

I take it back, I believe the HDMI would need to be upgraded in order to pass 3D signal.

Rope

Yes, I don't believe it is so much passing the signal, as it is too much information for the receiver to handle. That is why I think my receiver will pass the checkerboard, as it is not true 1080p resolution.

Batman said:
Harry Potter is going to NOTHING to help your opinion of 3D, it was converted to 3D and not shot that way. Don't waste your money...

Crossed off the list. Thanks Bats.

What about Captain America?

I think it will soon pass, the whole 3D thing to me just really is not that good. I also don't like to were glasses for too long. If they could make it with out the use of glasses I would check out a movie. But for now just not really impressed.

Then who is to say that down the road it may look just killer.

The answer to this question for me and my 5507 is NO... :roll:

Back