• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Some measurements (current setup with the SVS 20-39PCi)

nelmr

Well I played with the REW program and the RS Meter as the mic using the correction file for the meter.

This is with the 20-39PCi and the two main front speakers. I am curious how the bass graphs will work as I play around with the HSU and SVS seperately as well as combined.

Measurements sweeping signals for the bass:

Avearge RTA fullrange

Waterfall plots for bass:

Waterfall plot for fullrange:

By the way what is up with the waterfall plot in full range with regards to the higher frequencies. Is that what a comb filter effect is?

Waterfall measures the decay rate for sounds sent to the speaker. Longer decay rates are caused by:
1) the speaker system might be slow to stop generating sound (woofer flopping about)
2) driver might have resonances which ring beyond the electrical excitetation
3) the room reverb and echo is causing the sound to bounce around for awhile before the acoustic energy fully disperses

Flint said:
Waterfall measures the decay rate for sounds sent to the speaker. Longer decay rates are caused by:
1) the speaker system might be slow to stop generating sound (woofer flopping about)
2) driver might have resonances which ring beyond the electrical excitetation
3) the room reverb and echo is causing the sound to bounce around for awhile before the acoustic energy fully disperses

Thanks for what the waterfall graphs can help measure. What about the bumping, pointy, comb/step like pattern (even for the faster decays). What does that indicate?

In general, most of the bumpy frequency response nonlinearities above 500Hz is from comb filtering (assuming the speakers are very good). Comb filtering can be caused by reflections off walls, cabinet edge diffraction, dual parallel driver interaction, and sometimes from a single driver operating at higher frequencies where their wavelengths are shorter than the diameter of the driver piston.

Flint said:
In general, most of the bumpy frequency response nonlinearities above 500Hz is from comb filtering (assuming the speakers are very good). Comb filtering can be caused by reflections off walls, cabinet edge diffraction, dual parallel driver interaction, and sometimes from a single driver operating at higher frequencies where their wavelengths are shorter than the diameter of the driver piston.

Maybe it's time to build those OC703 panels. I have had the OC in the garage for years. I've just been to lazy to buy the wood and build the panels. I even have the cloth and the polyester quilt padding.

Back