• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Some Poolside/Beach Reading

D

Deleted member 133

A week from now I'll be at a hot vacation destination, and between swim workouts and rounds of golf, I intend to just chill poolside or on the beach with a book in one hand, and a margarita in the other.

A week or two ago I started putting together a small stack of books - at least one for every day I'll be there. (I plan to drink a LOT of margaritas!)

So far it's a few Jack Reachers and some sci-fi. I'll probably take one Stephen Jay Gould. Maybe a bio or physics text. A good mix of mind-stimulating and mindless stuff.

If you were doing the packing / travelling, what would you take with you to read?

Jeff

Two books coming out Tuesday that I'm interested in; Robert Gates' memoirs, and a book called The Loudest Voice in the Room, a biography of Roger Ailes (this one's gonna stir a few pots).
Hope its not Florida you're headed to, another "polar vortex" is expected…. :scared-eek: Have a great trip!

The DirtMerchant said:
The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton
I loved the Night's Dawn Trilogy when I read it a few years back. That series turned me on to Hamilton. I need to go back and read it again.

I read (and then re-read!) his Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, and The Void Trilogy a couple of years ago. It too is an amazing "space opera"! Huge number of characters, worlds, plots, subplots, times, universes, etc.

Botch said:
Two books coming out Tuesday that I'm interested in; Robert Gates' memoirs, and a book called The Loudest Voice in the Room, a biography of Roger Ailes (this one's gonna stir a few pots).
Hope its not Florida you're headed to, another "polar vortex" is expected…. :scared-eek: Have a great trip!
Thanks Botch. Luckily it's not. Well south of that. Two week forecast is for little or no precip, sunny and/or partly cloudy, with highs 25-26, lows 20, light breeze. Perfect golf and swimming weather. It should be a nice break from the ice/rain/snow conditions we've had this winter.

JeffMackwood said:
The DirtMerchant said:
The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton
I loved the Night's Dawn Trilogy when I read it a few years back. That series turned me on to Hamilton. I need to go back and read it again.

I read (and then re-read!) his Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, and The Void Trilogy a couple of years ago. It too is an amazing "space opera"! Huge number of characters, worlds, plots, subplots, times, universes, etc.
Definitely the best scifi I've come across.
If you haven't read it I think you would enjoy the Stephenson stuff. Not space opera but good stuff

JeffMackwood said:
If you were doing the packing / travelling, what would you take with you to read?Jeff

Depending how much room was left!!! It is always fun to travel with Barbi! I would choose three...

An animal content book, so many to choose from!

A Steinbeck, maybe Grapes Of Wrath or Of Mice and Men included in my copy is also Tortilla Flat.

Then maybe one of my Marilyn Monroe autobiographies.

Also, I would try to fit in a magazine of some sort.

Back